We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RTH and Jeep

New York City
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
RTH and Jeep

My husband an I are renting a Jeep via enterprise at the airport. It seemss like it will be a soft top.

Day 1 Arrive late evening, staying at Inn at Mama Fish house.

Day 2 we will do Haleakala, upcountry and Paia. staying at Inn at Mama Fish house.

Day 3 will do Road to Hana. Plan to really take our time and explore everything!!! Staying at Hana Travassa.

Day 4 Explore Road past Hotel, sacred pools etc. Staying at Hana Travassa.

Day 5 Explore anything we think we missed, head to Wailea. Staying at FS

Day 6 Explore in morning, relax at FS afternoon

Day 7 Rafting Snorkel trip to molokini in morning, relax FS afternoon, 11 pm flight out

Question: We really want to jeep as we will be spending a lot of time in the upcountry/Hana Area. On Days 3 and 5 we will have our luggage with us in the car while we are exploring. Will this be ok in the jeep with the soft top? I have read many warnings about leaving car unlocked etc.

Let me know your thoughts...

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,569 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RTH and Jeep

I hate to break it to you but a small car with a trunk is a better option for all the running around you are doing. You will not have to worry quite so much about break-ins if you keep the trunk closed and really cars are more comfortable for long drives!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,049 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RTH and Jeep

You're better off with a small car with enclosed trunk. And bear in mind that in a Jeep you're going to have to be prepared to stop and put up the top fast if it starts raining.

New York City
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RTH and Jeep

Thoughts on a convertible? And what about the road conditions? Are there car rentals at Hana airport?

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
619 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RTH and Jeep

Just remember the trunks in the Mustang convertibles are really small, we had one for one day and took it back we had 4 small carry on bags and they barely fit.

Cloverdale, Canada
Level Contributor
262 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RTH and Jeep

Not sure when your trip is, but we were there at the end of January and only had our convertible open one day, it was just cloudy and chily when driving.

Alberta
Level Contributor
418 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RTH and Jeep

Not sure if this will affect you but I just read my travel insurance car policy and it says it does not cover off road vehicles this is the policy free with my CC you may want to double check your policy before making a decision.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,205 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RTH and Jeep

<<"Are there car rentals at Hana airport?">>

Not sure about rentals at the airport, but since you are staying at Travaasa, this might be of help: travaasa.com/press-room/…

Next to water
Level Contributor
300 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RTH and Jeep

Since you are staying in Hana, can you drive straight to Travassa and have them hold your luggage while you back out and explore? Your room probably won't be ready but most of the time resorts can hold luggage. I would also rent a smaller car with a trunk regardless. Hana is also quite rainy..."pretty" showers IMO but still showers nonetheless.

There is no way all of our stuff fit in our car trunk so a some of it was neatly packed in the backseat. We stopped off in Paia to get some food at Mana foods and our filled car attracted a lot of attention so my husband had to go back and sit on it. It was parked in plain site on the main strip in Paia too. That's pretty much the only thing that slowed down a potential theft situation.

9. Re: RTH and Jeep

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2014, 05:18