We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road to Hana Waterfalls - end of June

Which Hana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
51 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Road to Hana Waterfalls - end of June

We are planning our first trip to Maui for the end of June of 2015. We definitely want to experience the road to Hana sights, especially the waterfalls. Will that time of year still allow us to see waterfalls, or will things by more dry as it is the summertime? Will Oheo Gulch also be worth our time? Because of our work schedules, this is the only time of year that works for us.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,581 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road to Hana Waterfalls - end of June

It really varies depending on how much recent rain the area has received. I am usually there during the summer and we have always had some waterfalls..but sometimes more than other times. Last July we hiked the Pipiwai Trail right there and the first smaller waterfall was nothing, but later the small series on falls was flowing as well as the large waterfall at the end. It wasn't as flowing as I have seen in pictures, but it was still pretty. Oheo Gulch was open and a lot of people swimming. We also did RTH in 2009 in July/August and we had a great time with a lot of water at Oheo Gulch. I have heard of other times that it has been dry when they haven't had rain. There is really no way to determine it ahead of time though. I still think coming is worth it though! We come every summer.

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
51 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road to Hana Waterfalls - end of June

Thank you, TravelBugged4! We will definitely plan our trip and hope for the best! I really wish we could come in March or April - I think that would be better viewing time for waterfalls plus a good get-away from the last bit of winter in Michigan, but I think it will still be beautiful and am looking forward to it.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,540 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road to Hana Waterfalls - end of June

The flow tends to be slower in the summer months due to it being the dry season. Thing is, most of the waterfalls are in a rain forest where it rains almost daily. It only takes one night of rain to get things going again!! Remember, the best waterfalls are a bit past Hana and make sure you visit Lindbergh's grave which is just a short drive from Oheo Gulch. Have fun!!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road to Hana Waterfalls - end of June

We didn't see any in August. Road to Hana was a complete waste of time and a bust.

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
51 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road to Hana Waterfalls - end of June

Thank you Fishdiva! :)

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
51 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road to Hana Waterfalls - end of June

Hi atlmom2 - i'm glad we're not going in August! :o

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,540 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road to Hana Waterfalls - end of June

You are welcome, Bunnyrabbit115. Have a great time. I don't know what year atlmom2 went to Hana but Maui is just now coming out of extreme drought conditions. I'm thinking that is why she say's she saw no waterfalls.

Antioch, Illinois
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Road to Hana Waterfalls - end of June

Aloha Bunnyrabbit115. The road to Hana is definitely something to experience...

My suggestion is to book a cottage rental for a couple of nights (or at least 1 night) in or near Hana, so you can take your time with the drive, as well as having un-rushed time exploring the Kipahulu District of Haleakalā National Park. This includes 'Ohe'o Gulch and the Pīpīwai Trail (thru the bamboo forest) which are amazing to experience.

www.nps.gov/hale/planyourvisit/kipahulu.htm

If you spend the night in Hana, you can arrive early to the park, whereas the day-trippers don't start arriving until afternoon.

There are other great places to experience in the Hana area, like Waianapanapa State Park and all kinds of great roadside stands...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60630-i845-k31434…

paradise-found-in-maui.com/waianapanapa.html

I usually like to tack on 3 nights in Hana at the beginning or end of my trips to Maui to give me plenty of time for enjoying that area. If you are able to... you won't regret it!

Aloha... happy planning.

9. Re: Road to Hana Waterfalls - end of June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 05:15