We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing trips

Northern Illinois
Level Contributor
27 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing trips

Could anyone tell me if there are any short, 4-6 hour fishing trips available in Kahului? We are arriving there with NCL and will be there for 2 days. I would love to get a trip for my husband and I .

Thanks for any info you can give me!

berkley, ma
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing trips

Aloha

Before you book a fishing trip ask around and see if they are catching anything at that time. We just returned and went fishing on our last day there for 4 hours with start me up and caught 1 sm fish (2 lbs maybe)

We were informed when we got "on" the boat that none of the boats were catching anything and not to take it out on the crew meaning tips. We should of asked around but we thought big ocean should be fish right, WRONG !!

Take a walk down the docks when the boats start coming in for the day and see whats up

Have a great trip

white rock bc
Level Contributor
531 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing trips

Is there not a "fish season" . In B.C. we have sokeyee, coho, steelhead, and spring salmon seasons. Where could we find info on this. My Husband is an avid sports fisherman and would love to go fight a big one.

Thanks,

Bellini.

white rock bc
Level Contributor
531 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing trips

Bump

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
375 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing trips

I don't think any of the boats out of Lahaina were catching fish the last week of October. I was out and we caught one yellowfin.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing trips

First off, you'll need to get to Ma`alaea or Lahaina. Kahului is only a big boat harbor and no fishing charters go out of there.

Fishing is year round. There are no real migratory patterns here like in other waters, and Maui is the only place in the world where they have pulled out 1000# + marlins in every month of the year. My pops has been bringing in mahimahi and `ahi regularly, and Kaikane went out of Hana two weeks ago and brought back some gorgeous mahimahi. The bottom fishingban for the summer months was lifted on Sept 30, so there are mnotre option now than there have been.

October is big tournament month here. The last week in October is the Halloween Lahaina Shootout, and the Lahaina Jackpot, a few days before (26-27 this year). Most of the big guys are not available for charter then as they are out competing or have been booked for the tourneys.

Something to keep in mind when booking a fishing trip on Maui is that most of the boats keep the bulk of the catch, unless you have made other arrangements. The logic behind this is as follows:

Visitors have very little use for a hundred or more pounds and it is difficult to bring it back to the mainland with you. You will need to find someone to pack it for you. It can be done, but most visitors do not want to bother with it. Also, visitors cannot sell their catch to restaurants. So it makes sense to let the boat keep most of the catch and resell it to help offset the cost of the trip. They will give everyone on the boat a few fillets.

When you book a trip be sure to ask if they expect to keep the catch or if they let you decide what you do with it.

I grew up with these guys and have family members in the fishing business on Maui, so I am going to rescuse myself from recommending anyone. There are some boats that do 4 hour afternoon bottom fishing trips, now that bottom fishing is OK again.. Some guys are hardcore, others more kickback. Do a websearch for Maui Fishing and you will find a ton of info and reviews by other visitors. Then send some emails and make some calls until you find the boat right for you.

6. Re: Fishing trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 21:18