We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do not fly alex air!!!!!

Louisiana
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
do not fly alex air!!!!!

All I can say is ALOT has changed since 2003/2004!!!! Our experience was a disaster. We arrived at 7:25, our flight was scheduled for 8:00am. We booked the Haleakala/Hana doors on heli tour! After being greeted and weighed we were told to go in the waiting room where a show of IZ was playing--no safety briefing! The other couple that were scheduled to fly came in late at 8:00am. The lady that had first greeted us in a rush started to go over certain "safety" proceedings for a doors off heli ride. My mom immediatly said we did not book that flight. The lady just laughed & threw orange jump suites at us and told us to get dressed. We put on the jump suites & my mom kept telling them that we did not book that flight. She just kept laughing & said you will enjoy it. We asked what we would see & she said we would see the crater & many waterfalls. We were then given some life preservers to wear & taken to the heli. I sat in the front & my mom was in the rear. Her headset did not work & when she tried to tell the attendent that was helping her get buckled in they did not listen. The piolet Russ was HORRIBLE!!!! This was not our first heli ride. He did not fly close to anything. You could prob see more from the airplane when you fly into hawaii. The cold rain belted you in the face. Russ did not take us to the crater b/c he said it was too cold & we would freeze with the doors off. I was very angry & disappointed!!!! There advertisement is totally FALSE!!!!!!

When we landed we complained & we were told that we could come back at 1:00 in the afternoon & get what we paid for. I was happy & thought they would make up for the BAD experience of the morning. Well when we got there guess what--we had the same AWFUL piolet & were put in the same heli & they put 3 doors on it (not 4-the piolets door was left off). Russ only flew for about 35 min & we saw less the second time. He said conditions were just to bad. Needless to say Alex Air wasted our whole day. The couple that were with us on the second flight complained & all they said is well you'll have days like that. Tell everyone you know not to go to Alex Air. I do believe that Hawaii should be experienced from the air but don't trust Alex air. They will take your money & leave you disappointed. If I go back I will fly blue Hawaiian!!!

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,091 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: do not fly alex air!!!!!

i would only fly with a helicoptor tour that could change the weather so we would always have perfect flying conditions

i have to take this poster with a grain of salt because all of us on the board have read first time posters with a complaint that ends with a promo at the end for another tour company

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,551 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: do not fly alex air!!!!!

I agree Lou.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,475 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: do not fly alex air!!!!!

Blue Hawaiian would not and does not have to resort to that kind of "advertising" to get business.

Louisiana
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: do not fly alex air!!!!!

Yes I am a first time poster & I only joined to warn people. My mom and I spent alot of money & were very disappointed. This was not our first time taking a heli tour. We flew through the grand canyon & saw some amazing things. It wasn't only weather conditions, if you could see my pics you would understand. Just be cautious & if you use Alex Air don't complain if you have a bad experience. You were warned!!!!!

minneapolis
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: do not fly alex air!!!!!

I took Alex Air and they were fine. The complainer should be lucky they got the doors off flight- that usually is a hundred dollars or so more expensive per person.

And how close can you get to these natural features on a chopper? I bet there are regulations on that. And, yes, weather is always a crapshoot.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
488 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: do not fly alex air!!!!!

Alex Air's a lot cheaper than Blue Hawaiian ;-)

Marietta, Ga. USA
Level Contributor
516 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: do not fly alex air!!!!!

In dede's defense, it sounds like the service they received was just as bad, if not moreso, than the flights themselves. Anyway, I fly with Air Maui everytime and have NEVER had a bad flight. I highly recommend the West Maui/Molokai flight. One of the people wrote in the comment book after the flight..."Pure orgasmic ecstasy". Guess it doesn't get much better than that, huh?

Boston
Level Contributor
421 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: do not fly alex air!!!!!

This type of post is common on the Hawaii forums and basically says "We had a bad experience with this company and therefore everyone should help us to punish them by boycotting them".

Isn't this kind of childish? Isn't it good enough to state that you had a bad experience without trying to start a general boycott? (aka beat up the school yard bully)

It is just the opposite of the typical post that says "We loved this hotel or restaurant or whatever and because we love it you will love it too" Wrong!! Individual tastes vary widely which is why so many options are available.

Neither type of post serves any useful purpose.

USA
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: do not fly alex air!!!!!

We used Alex Air when we were there in April... had a WONDERFUL experience. Price was excellent, pilot was informative and couldn't have asked for more (see my trip report for more details). Don't be scared off by prior posts - glad I wasn't!

Dublin, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: do not fly alex air!!!!!

Our experience with Alex Air was also horrible. We took the Mini Circle Island Maui tour and it didn't seem to be a circle island tour at all. The flight was booked through Activity Warehouse. Our pilot's name was Chris and he never did a 2-way check with the headphones prior to take off. Needless to say, he never heard any of our questions; how disappointing. I brought this up to the receptionst on the way out and mentioned that we took a helipcoter tour of the Grand Canyon and the pilot did a 2-way communication check with the equipment prior to take off. All she did was apoligize and offer us a free dvd. We paid $433 for the trip and felt we were ripped off. I'll be posting my negative reviews on this touring company as well. Next time I'll research prior to booking (which I usually do). I have hear the best-rated helicopter touring choices are Blue Hawaii or Sunshine. Next time we'll both know! Aloha!