We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport lei greeting

Elk Grove...
Level Contributor
11 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Airport lei greeting

I see several previous forums on this, but nothing very current...

Any suggestions for which vendor to use for Kahului airport lei greetings?

Mentioned in this post
Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,244 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport lei greeting

here is a google link for lei greetings at ogg

http://www.google.com/search?q=lei+greeting+at+maui+airport&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLR_en

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,947 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport lei greeting

Where are you staying? Many hotels and resorts will greet you with a lei on arrival...the airport greetings are pricy and just seem a bit "forced" to me.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,055 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport lei greeting

Lei greetings are not as common as you think. I have never actually seen one. There are pros and cons of lei greetings. As Mama said, your hotel may be presenting you with a lei ... and the kinda get in the way while tackling the luggage. Personally, I would wait and buy one after settled in the hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Cafe O'Lei at The Dunes at Maui Lani
Cafe O'Lei at The Dunes...
310 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,411 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport lei greeting

The last one I saw was in 1989 and I damn well paid for it! I've seen a few happen not not that much lately and as BLBL said, they are not that common.

If someone pulls my swimwear, I will tell you a funny story about 1989 and my Lei plans! But only if you beg! LOL

Mentioned in this post
Cafe O'Lei at The Dunes at Maui Lani
Cafe O'Lei at The Dunes...
310 Reviews
Maui, HI
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,947 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport lei greeting

I will beat you to it caddie...Dh and I went on our very late honeymoon (2 years after the wedding) His parents had provided REAL wedding lei's for us, i'm talking the ropes of flowers, laying on our bed at the Coco Palms! I was afraid to wear it!

We have had numerous "lei greetings" through the years at hotels and of course Hilo Hattie! The one that meant the most is the one from my DH's college room-mate! Hadn't seen him in 30 years but he brought me a spectacular lei...his wife said the first in 15 years! Lei's are not just a token...they really mean something!

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,971 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport lei greeting

Every time I have been in OGG or HNL for that matter, I have seen lei greetings. And let me tell you, I have been in both airports A LOT!! My DH presents me with a lei when I return from the mainland,(once a year), at the airport and on special occasions such as birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas and Valentines Day. They are special and they do mean something. A lot of those who have been to Hawaii numerous times or live here, have been there and done that, therefore don't see much in it. I think a lei greeting for those who have never been is a good introduction to the magic that is Hawaii and all it's beautiful flowers.

Mentioned in this post
Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,244 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport lei greeting

i remember my first business trip to hnl and i was presented with a

maile lei

Menifee, California
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport lei greeting

Aloha!

I love a lei greeting.

To me, it represents what Hawaii is all about...warm, fragrant greetings of aloha and good memories about returning. We always use Aloha Reservations. They are very good. I think it is about $17-$20.

Bryan Brown

BBrown9825@aol.com

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
so. cal
Level Contributor
702 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport lei greeting

Caddy: Don't take this the wrong way pal but I'm tugging vigorously at your speedo. I wanna hear your story!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,055 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport lei greeting

I agree with you, MsFuzz ... lei are special, as should be lei greetings. It's a great way to say "welcome home" for you -- but for others ... shoot, they've just walked off a plane after XXX hours of travel, tired and disoriented. I'd wait. It's not like those sweet photos with hula girls putting a lei around your neck as you walk down the ramp of your DC-3.

Get answers to your questions about Kahului