We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whole Foods Kahului. Monday March 8th

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Whole Foods Kahului. Monday March 8th

Whole Foods Review

Like walking into a small Euorpean Market.

Crowded, yet according to the staff, it wasnt busy at all.

Good quality stuff if you can get past the hoards,

9 dollar sandwiches, 10 dollar plate lunch,

1.99 per cookie Good quality Salame unsliced 24.99 per lbs,

lesser quality 14.99 lb

produce prices were not too bad

Fresh salad and Fresh prepared food cases looked good. about 10 dollars per pound for cold or hot foods

Meat and seafood cases looked good and fresh and $$$

If you have any mobility issues, be aware the store is small and aisles are narrow, you will be in start stop mode the entire while in store.

Checkout is efficient if only one or two people are in line, if more, you will be blocking the passage way through the front of the store store.

All in all, this place will only be for special occasion shopping.

Lackluster Bakery section.

Endeed up buying 40 dollars worth of stuff, it filled 1/2 of a paper bag. Yes paper, not plastic, getting ready for the Jan'11 plastic bag ban.

Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whole Foods Kahului. Monday March 8th

Thank you for posting this. I wondered if a Whole Foods was even on Maui...Pretty much all Whole Foods are small & crowded with the "Stop & Go" phenom. The prices are high on the mainland so I wonder if they will be even higher on Maui...either way good to know it's available..

...33 days...

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Whole Foods Kahului. Monday March 8th

Thanks for the review. I'm planning on checking the Whole Foods out when I am in Maui next week. Alaskans always go gaga over the "exotic" stores from the lower 48.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whole Foods Kahului. Monday March 8th

The Whole Foods in Nor Cal is pretty big about double the size of the Maui location.

Whole Foods is new to Hawaii.

Oahu (I believe has 2 Stores ) and the lone Maui location just opened within the last 15 days.

Pearl City, Hawaii
Level Contributor
175 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whole Foods Kahului. Monday March 8th

Oahu has only 1 store.. They were in the process of building another at the Ward Centre complex but that project was put on hold due to the economy tanking then last I heard Whole Foods pulled out of that location...

Heres the story pertaining to the Ward Location: http://tinyurl.com/ye9adlu

Edited: 10 March 2010, 03:27
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,005 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whole Foods Kahului. Monday March 8th

Whole has some small stores and some ginorumus ones.... The one at The District in Irvine (formerly MCAS Santa Ana) is like a culinary Disneyland, so is the one at the Time Warner Center in NYC.

I love the quality, hate the prices (funny how those go hand in hand), but I hope they do well in Maui.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whole Foods Kahului. Monday March 8th

hey scottca075

Ive been to the "District": in Irvine but didnt go inside WF's.

we went to Target and to a BBQ place that I now cant remember the name of.

This was in Late Oct/Early Nov of 09.

As you drive up the street *stayed at the Crown Plaza @ 405* you drive thru a semi industrial area then BAM theres a HUGE new "District"

MSFMKU is whole foods at Kahala or elsewhere?

Pearl City, Hawaii
Level Contributor
175 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whole Foods Kahului. Monday March 8th

Yes the one location on Oahu is at the Kahala Mall... another one to pop up in Kailua sometime in the near future..

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whole Foods Kahului. Monday March 8th

i agree - a bit of a potemkin village.

Frankly, Lahaina Farms is just as good or better. Less food service, but better bread and no lines. Good service too.

Its tough for Whole Foods on Maui. They put a lot of emphasis on local produce, but just about every market on Maui has local produce, but its an island. Nobody gonna take coals to Newcastle.

texas
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whole Foods Kahului. Monday March 8th

ugh. all whole foods i've ever been in are claustrophobic like that!!! I seriously almost have panic attacks b/c of the amount of people in them. Hence why I never go back. LOL.

Wilmette, Illinois
Level Contributor
513 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whole Foods Kahului. Monday March 8th

SouthMauiGuy,

Couple of quick questions

The plate lunches are typical hawaii plate lunches correct? not just whatever plates the WF sells there?

Cookies were the big ones (5" diameter or so)?

Do they sell bulk style fill your own back cereal/rice whatnot there?

I'll try to get over to our whole foods in town for a basic price comparison, let me know if there was anything you want me to check,

Did you check their beer selection?

Thanks again,