We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whole Foods Kahului. Monday March 8th

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Whole Foods Kahului. Monday March 8th

Whole Foods Review

Like walking into a small Euorpean Market.

Crowded, yet according to the staff, it wasnt busy at all.

Good quality stuff if you can get past the hoards,

9 dollar sandwiches, 10 dollar plate lunch,

1.99 per cookie Good quality Salame unsliced 24.99 per lbs,

lesser quality 14.99 lb

produce prices were not too bad

Fresh salad and Fresh prepared food cases looked good. about 10 dollars per pound for cold or hot foods

Meat and seafood cases looked good and fresh and $$$

If you have any mobility issues, be aware the store is small and aisles are narrow, you will be in start stop mode the entire while in store.

Checkout is efficient if only one or two people are in line, if more, you will be blocking the passage way through the front of the store store.

All in all, this place will only be for special occasion shopping.

Lackluster Bakery section.

Endeed up buying 40 dollars worth of stuff, it filled 1/2 of a paper bag. Yes paper, not plastic, getting ready for the Jan'11 plastic bag ban.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
65,455 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Whole Foods Kahului. Monday March 8th

Aloha,

I've been in WF twice now. I can't comment on the beers, cause I didn't bother looking. I figured (maybe wrongly) that they'd be far more expensive than the Liquor Superstore, Long's, or Costco.

I found some of the produce very reasonable-and some not. I didn't look at the meats and fish beyond a glance, but the prices were near those of the majors, at least for comparable quality. I did get some of their smoked pork and smoked chicken wings......both were YUMMY.

Their deli are has a wide variety of food and plates. Smoked mozzarella pasta salad was good, as was the Broccoli Crunch salad. I agree that the bakery section is so-so. I bought some small size items, and was disappointed in the lack of flavor in them. Sticking to Stillwell's for me!!

The salad bar looks really good; they also do a breakfast bar, which looks good too. Lots of bulk foods available......didn't notice the cookies, sorry!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,022 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Whole Foods Kahului. Monday March 8th

Our local WF is MASSIVE! The lure is organic products ... and a good alternative for vegetarians and vegans. Like Maui, it's easy to get fresh, organic and "unusual" produce here, so the prepared foods are a draw ... and the bakery! Whoa! And they sell Bubbies ...

I hope the Kahului site does well.

Southern California
Level Contributor
228 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Whole Foods Kahului. Monday March 8th

SouthMauiGuy - That may have been Lucilles BBQ at the District. Good BBQ, Good Martinis.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Whole Foods Kahului. Monday March 8th

Plate lunches..there was a crowd around the station and I just peeked in,,,,they sliced meats looked like tritip...for the plates I never saw the sides but saw the sign and price

didint notice any bulk bins

Cookies about 4-5"s

Beer wine didnt look/notice.

YES Lucille's That was It!!

The food was good when they finally got things right,,,between two meals, they screwed up 4 things including INEDIBLE shoe-leather

tritip, but they did replace it and the replacement was INCREDIBLE.

We didn't ask for any compensation and when they offered, the only thing we did was accept a dessert to go and eat at the Hotel.

I liked the vibe of the place and the staff.

Wilmette, Illinois
Level Contributor
513 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Whole Foods Kahului. Monday March 8th

I asked about the beers because here the WF is known for picking up several micro's that other people don't carry. From that aspect the beers are good deals because they simply aren't carried anywhere else (although occasionally they do strange things like try and pretend PBR is a good beer for $7 a 6 pack).

Thanks for the info on the plate lunches and the cookies. Sounds like it's worth hitting up if we want something a ltitle off beat.

Cheers,

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Whole Foods Kahului. Monday March 8th

Stopped in the afternoon of the Tsunami....it was mobbed!

I can't say the aisles are cramped, but they sure weren't big enough that day....you literally couldn't stop without causing a traffic jam.

There was a long line to get any served food...or even at serve yourself bars. I've honestly never seen a place that crowded, I guess because it's still so new and a lot of other stores never opened that day.

I had price shock, but that happened elsewhere also (first time to HI!)...produce was about like at other groceries. I'm not used to buying stuff like pizza, sandwiches or cooked entrees by the pound, so I had no idea how to figure cost. Yet soup was by the container (and looked good!). They had an extensive wine selection but I didn't notice the beer aisle being very big.

Lines at all registers were horrendous; we left without buying anything.

17. Re: Whole Foods Kahului. Monday March 8th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Kahului