We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 hours layover at Kahului Airport

Which Kahului hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
4 hours layover at Kahului Airport

In Feb, on a Tues evening (6-10pm) my wife and I have a four hour layover at Kahului Airport (coming from Molokai going to LA).

Is there any way we can venture out of the airport for a couple of hours and have a "simple" dinner. Is there a convenient bus to the town of Kahului or are we better off having some "airport fast food" ?

Thank you,

Sonia and Harry

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,183 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 hours layover at Kahului Airport

Does your flight leave at 10pm after your other arrives at 6? That cuts your airport time to 2 hours with all the check-in nonsense. If so I'd just stick to the main bar/eatery at the airport.

If you do indeed have a full 4 hours grab a cab and venture to Mama's Fishhouse for dinner...make a reservation and let them know your timeframe for your flight. Great aloha to the islands!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,396 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 hours layover at Kahului Airport

C'mon Momma, touting your own joint or what...

The OP said "simple".

That doesn't imply to me dropping a couple hundred for dinner and fifty in taxi fares to eat at Mama's Fish House.

"Simple" to me means The Kahului Ale House, over next toaui Mall. Good beers, lots of interesting food, warm local conversation; all within a couple miles and a few dollar cab fare from the airport.

Edited: 01 February 2011, 04:35
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,183 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 hours layover at Kahului Airport

Oh amberloo! I'm just trying to make a final romantic aloha to the islands for them (jeez they are coming from Molokai and we know what THAT costs...no offense op!) and pupus are NOT outrageous, OK drinks maybe!

I will bow to your knowledge of the beer scene, but you can get THAT at the airport!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,946 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 hours layover at Kahului Airport

Mamma and Amberloo - are you two at it again? First it was the cheap T-shirts ...

I think that having actual food before getting on an airplane is a great idea. And get out and walk. Although Mamma has recommended a lovely place that is great for a leisurely dinner ... I would stay closer to the airport. Amberloo has given you one suggestion. I'd be tempted to re-post with the question - good restaurants close to the Kahului Airport ... and see what you get. Check your bags with your final airline and go eat!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 hours layover at Kahului Airport

I suggest you take a Taxi to either of these three places

A Saigon Cafe (aka) Jennifers excellent vietnamese food, about 3.5 miles from the airport.

Bistro Casanova great locally owned Bistro about 2 miles from the Airport.

Marcos Italian about 1 mile from Airport across from KMart

The offerings at OGG include

Stinger Rays Bar grub

Sammy Hagars Grill Bar food grub

a hot dog stand hot dogs

Burger King burgers fries etc

Calif Pizza Kitchen Express pizza mainly

PinkBerry excellent yogurt

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 hours layover at Kahului Airport

Thanks, Momma, Amberloo and BLBL for your helpful replies.

As we will be in Maui for 5 days and 3 in Molokai, we check out

restaurants near OGG and decide if it's worth to leave the airport

grounds during our layover.

Harry

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,411 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 hours layover at Kahului Airport

Good thinkin Harry!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 hours layover at Kahului Airport

Thanks for your time and useful info.

We are looking fwd landing at OGG next week.

Harry and Sonia

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,336 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 hours layover at Kahului Airport

Hi to NY enjoying this lovely weather. if you feel comfortable leaving the airport, there are cute restaurants, near by in Kehi. It is a drive. If you have 2 hours it may be worth it to leave. Others may know of more restaurants. Enjoy the trip. I like Molokai.

10. Re: 4 hours layover at Kahului Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 16:20