We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel for Hawaii Harley Owners Group rally

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel for Hawaii Harley Owners Group rally

We are going to be in Maui in October for the HOG rally. Any suggestions on where to stay in Kahului? All the events start from the dealership in Kahului and we don't want to have to drive a long time every morning to get to the events, that is why we're looking at staying in Kahului instead of a nicer part of the island.

Any good hotels in the city itself? I've been reading reviews on the Maui Beach and it doesn't seem too bad but would like input. Is there another part of Maui that wouldn't be a long drive to get to Kahului every morning?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Iowa
Level Contributor
75 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel for Hawaii Harley Owners Group rally

There is a brand new Courtyard by Marriott under construction in Kahului. I'm not sure of the opening date but it looked pretty far along when we were there last week. It is going to be far superior to anything else in town.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,108 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel for Hawaii Harley Owners Group rally

Kihei would be a good base ... nice beaches and about 20 minutes to Kahului. How many days are the events going to be on for, and will you be staying extra days?

Map: http://tinyurl.com/7n8h35j The Maui Coast hotel is there, and lots of condo rentals if you prefer that to a hotel.

The only two motels in Kahului are the Maui Seaside and the Maui Beach and I think both are considered 'budget motels'.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel for Hawaii Harley Owners Group rally

You may want to rent a condo in Maalea, it's pretty close. It's pretty windy there, but if you are looking at close, that may work for you.

I had business in Kahalui and Wailuku last week and still stayed at Makena - the location was worth the drive for me! (it just doesn't take that long).

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,559 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel for Hawaii Harley Owners Group rally

I've stayed here before. only 5 to10 minutes from the Kahului hotels you are considering.

http://www.wailukuhouse.com/

Iowa
Level Contributor
75 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel for Hawaii Harley Owners Group rally

One other thing to consider is the Inn at Mama's Fish House. It is probably not more than 5 miles down the road from Kahului. I have not stayed there but there has been quite a bit of conversation about it on this board. It would definitely be more Hawaiian than a place in the middle of town. All depends on what you are looking for.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,559 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel for Hawaii Harley Owners Group rally

The Inn at Mama's is more like 10 miles,. It's located past the "town" of Paia.

Speed limits are low on Maui.

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel for Hawaii Harley Owners Group rally

Thanks everyone. I'll look into Kihei. I didn't realize it was only a 20 minute drive. We are going to be on our honeymoon and I don't really want to stay in a dive. We are going to be on Kauai and the Big Island and are staying in nice places there so was willing to give a little bit on Maui.

We are flying in on the 11th late. The rally starts on the 12th and ends on the 14th and then we are flying to Kauai on the 15th. I really didn't want to change hotels if we didn't have to.

Just saw the post about the Courtyard, I'll definitely be looking into that hotel too.

8. Re: Hotel for Hawaii Harley Owners Group rally

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 07:41