We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying Standby on a Guest Pass Maui

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Flying Standby on a Guest Pass Maui

I am flying from Boise, Idaho to Maui in May on a Guest Pass but now I am worried about getting back home...I see people have to wait days...really? Any advice? Alaska Airlines....May 15th to May 21st.

Mentioned in this post
Boise
Boise
Idaho
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
625 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying Standby on a Guest Pass Maui

Planes seem to be much fuller these days...

ecoast
Level Contributor
339 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying Standby on a Guest Pass Maui

Your concerns are valid. You could be delayed on either end.

Don't have anything urgent planned for a while after your hoped-for return date.

Whistler, British...
Level Contributor
32 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying Standby on a Guest Pass Maui

Flew yvr to sea to ogg and ogg to pdx and yvr. Last week. Every flight was full.

Alaska.

HTH!

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Blackwood, New...
Level Contributor
414 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying Standby on a Guest Pass Maui

As long as you have no job, responsibilities and love to spend overnights in an airport you should have no problem. Sorry, the airlines no longer fly half empty as in the old days(5-10 years ago).

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,860 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying Standby on a Guest Pass Maui

You might want to post this on the airline forum -- maybe more people with buddy pass experience there. Hard to say -- I do know my last several flights to the islands have been nearly full -- and the buddy pass gives you very low priority. I imagine something would be available within 2-3 days -- if you got the pass from a friend they should have access to check availability at the current time.

fl
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying Standby on a Guest Pass Maui

You'll be a nonrev and at the bottom of the list. A friend of mine got stuck on Maui for about a week before giving up and flying HA to HNL to have a better chance of getting on a flight to the mainland as a standby.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
65,405 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying Standby on a Guest Pass Maui

Aloha,

May is a slower month here, esp. during the middle when you are visiting. The 21st is a Monday, which could be okay but can be a busy day..............I'd go onto Alaska's site and check the flights for the 21st to 23rd or so and see what the load is. Keep checking it to get a feel for how full they are getting as it gets closer.

The red eye flights are the most popular, so if there are daytime flights you may stand a better chance of getting on one of those.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying Standby on a Guest Pass Maui

I agree it is worth it to check the load counts from Honolulu

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Socal
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying Standby on a Guest Pass Maui

So there is a chance that you will be "stuck" on Maui, forced against your will to hope for a ride home? (dang...why didn't I get one of these tickets...never should have gotten reserved seats)

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying Standby on a Guest Pass Maui

I know stranded on a tropical island...how awful :-)....I'm probably going to take my chances.

Get answers to your questions about Kahului