We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying Standby on a Guest Pass Maui

Which Kahului hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boise, Idaho
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Flying Standby on a Guest Pass Maui

I am flying from Boise, Idaho to Maui in May on a Guest Pass but now I am worried about getting back home...I see people have to wait days...really? Any advice? Alaska Airlines....May 15th to May 21st.

fl
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Flying Standby on a Guest Pass Maui

Good luck.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
282 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Flying Standby on a Guest Pass Maui

Aahhh yes, I remember doing a buddy pass with United...trying to get SFO to Sydney...flight oversold...paying passengers bumped. I stood no chance. Didn't look good for 48 hours. Lax looked marginally better so at 4 am my friend put me standby SFO to Lax. Ok there. What to do in LA? Hmmm. Oh look. There's flights to Hnl. ...couple text messages later I'm running to the next gate, not pretty, And get the last seat to Hnl. :). Now...how to break it to my boss I'm stranded in HAwaii. & since I'm there..I'll stop for a couple nights. Phone lines always get bad at crucial moments ;). Purchased a cheap flight home from there 2 days later. :)

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Flying Standby on a Guest Pass Maui

A friend of mine who works for an airline was stuck in Oahu for 3 days this time last year waiting for a vacancy on AA to LAX, eventually she gave in and bought a ticket.

She did though manage to get out on a pass, mid April, LAX to Maui OK (she went back via Oahu). Perhaps in May the crowds are a little less and you may be fortunate, but the airlines really seem to have sorted the trick of adjusting pricing to fill their planes up.

14. Re: Flying Standby on a Guest Pass Maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 02:15