We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire - Kahului Airport

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire - Kahului Airport

Hi All

Just wondering what a good target rate should be for car hire if I pre-book, then pickup and dropoff at the airport? And if anyone can recommend a particular website or company?

I saw some threads saying ppl were getting around $20 per day but these were quite dated. I did a quick quote using the first google search (Thrifty) for the smallest car available and it was $30/day for a 3 day hire, which I didn't think was too bad, but then they added about $40 (around 40%!) of taxes and charges on top.

Is this normal? Are there any further charges or waivers etc I should be aware of, other than fuel? Basically I''m looking to get the 'all-in' total cost to be under $120 excl fuel.

Edit:

From UK if it affects anything at all (financially or legally - I'm not too bothered about the other side of the road thing)?

For 2 ppl so small car only and only 1 will be driving.

Edited: 29 August 2012, 11:57
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,001 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire - Kahului Airport

<<"Are there any further charges or waivers etc I should be aware of, other than fuel?">>

You'll need insurance for loss or damage to the vehicle, unless you're covered by your own car insurance for out of country rentals, or if you have a credit card that covers you . If you are covered by one or both of these, be sure to know what the coverage is. If you do need to purchase it through the rental agency, then it will add quite a bit to the daily rental price, so it's worth comparing that cost with a few different agencies.

I would contact this company; they are reputable and often recommended here on the forums. They are a broker and deal with the major rental agencies on the islands. If you need insurance, you might want to ask them for their recommendation on the best rental agency to use: http://discounthawaiicarrental.com/

Edited: 29 August 2012, 13:35
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
217 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire - Kahului Airport

And if you are covered by your own car insurance, make sure to bring that proof of insurance with you. We didn't think of that in all our travels unitl I read it before our first trip to Maui last year. That fact might seem obvious, but I sure didn't think about it.

Good luck getting a great rate!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire - Kahului Airport

Thanks for the replies.

I'll have a look at the site, and also check my current insurance cover. I'm sure it covers other countries in Europe but not sure about the U.S. When I've had to hire vans here, it usually includes insurance in the price for 1 main driver.

I'll have to weigh up the costs as we were only going to hire a car if it was either cheaper or only slightly more expensive than taxi/shuttle to/from the airport (which I believe is $30 pp each on shuttle - $120).

And given our short stay there's not really anywhere we have to have a car for as happy to stay in the nearby walkable area, with a day trip to Laihana via bus.

I'd also need to check whether our resort fees cover parking at the hotel.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,735 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire - Kahului Airport

We have an economy car from National (DH is a 'member'.) for Jan. - Feb. that is $29/day all in. When I booked I thought it was high, but I no longer think so. LOL Still, I'd urge any first-time visitor to reserve a car for airport pickup over doing a shuttle plus any tours -- especially if you have such a short stay! (BTW why DO you have such a short stay?)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire - Kahului Airport

Talk directly with your insurance agent. Perhaps there is a rider you can get for the US ... or at least he/she should be able to advise you.

OR -- contact an American rental car company like Hertz ... in the UK. They, too, should be knowledgeable as to how your UK car insurance translates for the USA.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,365 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire - Kahului Airport

You may also want to have a look at the Top Questions on the right hand side of the Maui Forum's page. Click on "Rental Cars on Maui". Plenty of great info right at your fingertips!!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire - Kahului Airport

I just booked a compact car on Hotwire and got it for $27.95 daily + tax, + $9/daily for extra insurance. I don't care what company my car comes from really and I just want a compact car for an affordable price. Regular prices run around $38 daily on upwards.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,493 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire - Kahului Airport

Many of us book a (non paid) reservation with DiscountHawaiicarrental.com. We keep checking major rental sites, Avis, Hertz, Alamo. when we see rates drop we email discounthawaii and ask for a "requote". If they can get you a lower price they will change the reservation. You don't pay until you pick up the car.

The price they quote will be basic rate plus all the taxes and fees that the State of Hawaii and county of Maui add to it. If you get additional insurance it will be more than the quote. You can call discounthawaii and see if they can also price insurance with the car after you find out what insurance you might need.

www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/…

9. Re: Car Hire - Kahului Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 00:18