We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pride of America

Livermore...
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Topic
Pride of America

Will we port close enough that we can enjoy shopping some of your stores without renting a car or taxi? Will certainly do excursion to Lahaina first day but would like to rest on ship part of second day and maybe do some local shopping. One of our group is with a walker so would like something close. Thanks, Carol

carol.boyd@sbcglobal.net

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,775 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pride of America

There are some small stores within an easy walk of Nawiliwili Harbor on Kaua`i, and free shuttles to Walmart, Kmart, Hilo Hattie. Kmart is within walking distance of Kukui Grove Mall.

Monroe, Louisiana
Level Contributor
203 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pride of America

Took the cruise in March. The harbor at Maui is in an industrial area. I don't think it is close to many stores. Especially for someone in a walker. I think there are shuttles but I did not use them. A cab would not be that expensive

There seems to be a Hilo Hattie's at every port and they do all they can to accommodate you.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,543 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pride of America

At the Kahului port there are no stores within a walking distance. You would need to take an excursion or rent a car. A short cab ride would put you at Queen Ka'ahumanu Mall, Macy's has a store here.

On Maui I'd suggest sightseeing.

As pzp posted, easy shopping at the Kauai port.

The Hilo Hattie Store is 20 miles from the port in Kihei.

Edited: 31 October 2012, 13:03
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,013 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pride of America

I agree with the suggestion to sightsee on your 2nd day as your first day in Lahaina will provide plenty of (and better) shopping options.

The cruise line has some short excursions that would still give you time to relax on board the ship. The Iao Valley excursion is one that you might find interesting. Your friend could stay close to the bus at the Iao Valley and still see the spectacular Iao Needle.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pride of America

If you haven't already check out the cruise critic port thread on Hawaii.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
491 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pride of America

At Kuhului, we rented a car. While waiting for the shuttle, we saw shuttles taking people to Walmart. So if you are dead set on shopping, you can take that Walmart shuttle.

7. Re: Pride of America

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2013, 10:19