We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avis Extra Cleaning Fee

Which Kahului hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, OR
4 posts
Save Topic
Avis Extra Cleaning Fee

Just got back from Kauai and was charged an extra $75 dollar cleaning fee. Like many of the other posters who have had similar experiences, the fee was for a really small amount sand. It appears that this is pretty common with Avis in Kauai, specifically. They played it off that they were cutting me a deal by not charging me $150. If your renting from Avis you might want to make sure that their rate is atleast $75 cheaper for the week than anyone else just to hedge your bets.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,302 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Avis Extra Cleaning Fee

PDX, I wasn't inferring that you trashed out the car or did not read the contact. My reply was in general and more at those who talked about hidden fees. I don't like the wording on the contacts - as I said, what one person sees as excessive, another may not.

Hindsight now, but probably the best thing you could have done is take photos of the "excessive dirt", get the names of those employees who said it's excessive, do not sign off on anything accepting the extra charges, speak to the manager. Late for your flight, take it up with Avis when you get home.

Personally, I'll never rent from Avis again unless absolutely necessary. Long story short, Avis tried to charge us for a chip in a windshield that we did not cause. We refused to sign off on it, got the employee name, asked to see the manager...that was the end of it.

3Chihuahuas

Edited: 12 March 2013, 02:16
Solana Beach...
Level Contributor
2 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Avis Extra Cleaning Fee

I experienced a $150 fee and they were unwilling to compromise. Even though I checked in the car and was told all is ok, I got a letter two months later informing me of the fee. And I've spent $5000 per year renting from Avis for 20 years and am an Avis First customer. I'm contesting it with American Express and have already taken all my future rental business to Hertz.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,612 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Avis Extra Cleaning Fee

sdphil - just curious ...was your experience with Avis on Maui?

Solana Beach...
Level Contributor
2 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Avis Extra Cleaning Fee

Haven't been to Maui in many years but Amex told me that they're getting a large number of customer complaints about these fees from Avis and Budget locations throughout Hawaii. It's becoming clearer that this is a scam to generate fees. If Avis were really interested in reducing the problem they'd explain this policy when you rented and returned it.

Edited: 20 April 2013, 21:13
Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Avis Extra Cleaning Fee

We always rent through Budget and are Fastbreak members. They started to explain there would be an extra fee if we turned the car in dirty, then she noticed we were Fastbreak and said never mind. But they still tacked on an extra hour to our bill which I didn't notice until I got home. Got it refunded, but would have been easy to miss.

Level Contributor
440 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Avis Extra Cleaning Fee

This is nothing new. All of the rental car companies will charge you for cleaning excessive sand. I do a quick vacuum o the way to the airport just to be safe.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Avis Extra Cleaning Fee

Having the same issues with Avis in Australia. They are often charging over USD$200 for post-rental cleaning. Read the terms carefully before you book and insist on having the car checked while you are there on return. If they want to charge exorbitantly for cleaning take it away and clean it yourself.

Southeast US
Level Contributor
178 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Avis Extra Cleaning Fee

For those of you who have been charged a cleaning fee--does the length of the rental seem to be a factor? Most of our vacation rentals are for 2 weeks or longer and we've not had this problem; just wondering if what is considered "excessive" is related to length of rental?

I always document stains on carpet and upholstery before leaving the lot, along with any external damage.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: Avis Extra Cleaning Fee

Personally I think it is just common sense. We have never been charged a cleaning fee and have never cleaned the car before return. Most of the time it is just my wife but we hit the beaches a lot . last trip we had our young grandkids and the car was full of sand. It was in the seems of the seats, the floor of the car and the trunk. I thought it was a lot. So the night before departure, I took the car to a gas station and vacummed it out. Took 2 sessions at .75c each. car was clean, never heard a peep from Budget. No question $75 cleaning fee is ridiculous, but we try to stay out of their hands.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: Avis Extra Cleaning Fee

I've said it before in previous post', when you check your car out at the rental lot, most places give you a form to fill out to note down any dings, chips etc. When on Maui I circle every door panel, (top and bottom), circle the front and back bumper, and write down that the car has sand in it and the seats are wet. Hand it to the porter on the way out, at least you have some recourse if something happens. And no, they won't stop you and ask to see what you noted down.