We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental cars

Which Kahului hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
burnaby
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
rental cars

We have a booking with Thrifty rent a car and now after looking at reviews are wondering if we should look at another company...has anyone had a bad experience with them?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,688 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental cars

Any and most agencies will have a bad review every once in a while. If you have a good rate, I would just stick with them. Did you book it with them directly, or did you use DiscountHawaiiCarRental??? Or Costco? And did you join Thrifty's "club"? All the majors seems to have some kind of "preferred" club to sign up for, so you go to the front of the line, or get some kind of perk.

We have used a lot of different companies on the Islands, whichever one is cheapest at the time, and have never had any problems. Others have been dinged with cleaning fees because of the amount of sand.

Just make sure you have a good look at the vehicle for dents and scratches, and take pictures if you can. That is hard to do though, if you are using WestJet from Vancouver and arriving at 9:45 at night!

burnaby
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: rental cars

Happy Canada Day!

and thanks for your quick response....yes, we have booked thru Costco in the past and now got a much better rate with discount hawaii car rental...have always booked alamo or budget , but thrifty has a fantastic rate....but when I googled them to see what they were like....oooh, baad reviews....I will keep checking the rates....we are not going until Christmas....

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,688 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental cars

Were the reviews of Thrifty's for Hawaii specifically? That makes a huge difference as well. I have used Budget while in Hawaii, but would NEVER recommend them from the Vancouver airport! cbc has even done a story about them "bilking" their customers.

And yes, do keep checking the rates. Mind you, Christmas is a busy time. l am glad you have the rental in place already as Maui does run out of rental cars during the Christmas and New Years holidays.

Happy Canada Day to you too! Much nicer than the Victoria Day weekend!

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: rental cars

I did Thrifty in Kauai and Maui earlier this year and had no problem with them on either island.

I got the best rate through Discount Hawaiian Car Rental and I checked them obsessively until the day we left.

Took the shuttle and was in and out in a few minutes. Car was fine in both places.

No hard upsell on insurance or other "extras".

burnaby
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: rental cars

thanks so much for the info...we will give them a try

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rental cars

Aggravating rental practice:We rented from Thrifty last week. We have used them several times. Arriving late in the day, we got our keys, proceeded to our car and noticed multiple dents and dings. Some were marked with stickers, indicatiing prior notice, but many were not marked. There was no attendant in the lot nor any check out booth to tell anyone about the dents. After a very long day and a very busy car checkout lobby, we chose to take pictures of the dents and leave. Sure enough, when we returned the car, we were challenged about the damage. Luckily we had enough time before flight check in to deal with their lengthy process for proving the damage wasn't ours. It involved line standing, form completion and picture emailing. Don't know yet the result. Lesson: be sure to have enough time built into your return process to allow for Thrify's obvious play to catch unaware customers.

Lubbock, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rental cars

Has anyone rented from Dollar and what experiences have you had with them

Lubbock, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rental cars

Has anyone rented from Dollar and what experiences have you had with them

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: rental cars

Costco has been beating discount Hawaii for at least 2 years. Only works if you check both daily.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,057 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rental cars

Best practice regarding existing damage on the vehicle is to document it prior to leaving the lot.

If there is not an attendant in place....return to the counter where you obtained the keys/contract and have them observe and initial/document the marks/scratches/dents. It would be ill advised to leave that process until the vehicle drop off.

If the vehicle is parked in a dark section...pull in over to a light standard in order to do a proper inspection. We arrive rather weary ourselves, but this is always part of our routine. We rent dozens of vehicles each year , and the returns have been uneventful.