We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4hrs in Kahului airport - where shall I go (4pm to 8pm)

London, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
4hrs in Kahului airport - where shall I go (4pm to 8pm)

I'm doing a week in Maui then a week in Kauai - on my way back from Kauai, I stop in Maui for 4hrs before heading to LA and then London (phew!)

It will be 4pm and 2hrs till dusk so don't think it would be great going to see a sight. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Plover, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
538 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4hrs in Kahului airport - where shall I go (4pm to 8pm)

You don't have enough time to leave the airport to do anything and make it back in time, I would have some dinner at Sammy's beach bar along with a couple cocktails, before the long flights home.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4hrs in Kahului airport - where shall I go (4pm to 8pm)

There didn't seem to be that much to do in the airport there. We had our last meal on Maui in one of the airport places called "Stingray Joe's" (I think) - a surf/tiki themed bar and restaurant - they had some TV's going. If you have to kill some time somewhere like that is probably your best bet.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4hrs in Kahului airport - where shall I go (4pm to 8pm)

You'll need to be back at the airport 2 hours before your flight away. And you may need to claim and re-check your luggage. The best you can do is sneak off in a cab for a quick meal. There have been similar posts in the past month, so you may want to scroll down the Maui Forum.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,404 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4hrs in Kahului airport - where shall I go (4pm to 8pm)

If you don't have any luggage and a boarding pass for the next flight, you could take the public transportation into Kahului and go to the Queen Kaahumanu Center which is a mall. There are a couple of restaurants and at least you would get out of the airport!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4hrs in Kahului airport - where shall I go (4pm to 8pm)

Thanks 1sharpedge MachThree BLBL msfuzz (helping me again, I most appreciate it!)

We are actually there for 6 hours so I already factored in the 2hrs at the airport - apologies, I should have mentioned this. I do think the safest thing is just to stay near ish, so might go to the Queen Kaahumanu Centre then get dinner somewhere.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4hrs in Kahului airport - where shall I go (4pm to 8pm)

If you have your boarding pass, and your luggage is already checked in, then you don't need to be back at the airport 2 hours before your flight. 1 hour would be more than enough time to get through the security check and walk to your gate.

I agree with msfuzz, that the Queen K mall is your best bet. There are also many restaurants for a last island meal. Da Kitchen, Cafe O'Lei, etc.

7. Re: 4hrs in Kahului airport - where shall I go (4pm to 8pm)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2015, 17:27
Get answers to your questions about Kahului