We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do near Kahului (But w/luggage)

Lago Vista, Texas
7 posts
Save Topic
Things to do near Kahului (But w/luggage)

Hello Everyone!

We will be leaving Maui (Kahaului airport) on April 23rd, 2014. We have to check out of our condo in Lahaina by 11am but our flight isn't till 10pm that night. We would like to do some activities or sight in the area near the airport however we will still have our luggage. We will have a convertible jeep and read NOT to leave anything in view for a potential break in. Any ideas where we can leave/store our luggage to explore the area? We definitely would like to eat at Mama's but what else do you recommend to see? Thanks in advance for your help!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,778 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do near Kahului (But w/luggage)

Is there ANY chance at all that you can book your condo for another night? That way you can enjoy your day at leisure, and have a shower before heading to the airport. Your life will be so much easier!

Iao Needle is always one place we enjoy on our last day (when we can't book the condo, or were too stupid to ask about a late checkout), but we always have a trunk. Not sure what I could suggest with the jeep. Watching the surfers at Ho'okipa can be done with the jeep still in your sight. But that doesn't take all day!

United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do near Kahului (But w/luggage)

Very recent thread on luggage storage:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60631-i1465-k7148…

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,877 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do near Kahului (But w/luggage)

Agree with Joan's advice to see if you can get a late check out or even book another night at the condo. Its so nice to have a shower and fresh clothes before that over night flight.

Is your Jeep reservation changable? How about switching to a convertible car instead? You might have to put the top up that last day, hut at least you'd have a closed trunk for your luggage. And you won't be allowed to do any off-roading with a rental Jeep on Maui anyway. Just a thought.

We were caught off guard by that late night flight on our first trip too. Now we plan ahead and can usually get a late check out. So much better!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do near Kahului (But w/luggage)

Check with your airline to see how early you can check in. We've done this with American, many times. We'll check in around mid-day, checking our luggage and getting our boarding passes. Then, with just our carry-ons in the trunk, we were free to go up country, visit Paia, have a nice last meal on-island, and make our way back to the rental car return, knowing that we have fewer lines to deal with, before our flight.

Lago Vista, Texas
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do near Kahului (But w/luggage)

Thank you all for your replies on ideas and other sight seeing options. In addition to y'alls suggestions, I have discovered that there is a storage facility named Extra Space Storage right near the airport. I contacted them to see if I could rent a unit for the day. She said I actually could for $30!! What a deal?! I just wanted to share this with you all in case you may need it on future travels. Thank you all again!!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,778 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do near Kahului (But w/luggage)

Stephanie, that is great news, and something that is good to know. We have a lot of people on TA

asking about storage near the airport, so I am going to google that company myself!

extraspace.com/Storage/…

Noticed that the OFFICE is closed on Sunday.

Edited: 31 January 2014, 21:15
Lago Vista, Texas
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do near Kahului (But w/luggage)

There are several other storage facility companies on the island that could probably make similar accommodations. So, for travelers that would like to see other areas of the island vs around the airport may be able to make similar arrangements.

8. Re: Things to do near Kahului (But w/luggage)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2015, 03:17