We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long does it take to get out of OGG airport w/car rental

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
How long does it take to get out of OGG airport w/car rental

I have a delta flight arriving at 4:05 pm into OGG, I will need to collect baggage and get car rental. How long do you think this will take to finally get out of the airport on be on my way to Kaanapali? Any ideas, estimates? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,518 Reviews
Maui, HI
Ukiah, Calif
Level Contributor
688 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long does it take to get out of OGG airport w/car rental

it shouldn't take you more than 20 -30 minutes. The baggage would be the longest wait. We went straight to shuttle for car rental place, no wait, and were on the road in mere minutes. But the airport is really nice and you are in Maui, so enjoy!!

-syd

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
New York, NY
Level Contributor
419 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long does it take to get out of OGG airport w/car rental

I just did this same trip last week. Once you get your bags you simply hop on the shuttle to the rental car agency. I didn't have any long lines and traffic flow was moving briskly. The drive from OGG to Kannapali is about 35-40 minutes.

Mentioned in this post
Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,327 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long does it take to get out of OGG airport w/car rental

You are on Maui so relax. Sometimes its a long wait for luggage and sometimes not. Sometimes the guy in front of you at the car rental place is a jerk who wants to haggle and sometimes not. It is rush hour so be aware that traffic may also be slow. Just turn on the radio and relax.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,154 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How long does it take to get out of OGG airport w/car rental

If you are traveling with someone, let them wait for the luggage while you go get the car, then swing back and pick them up (and the luggage). It could take 30 minutes, or longer. No telling how fast the luggage will come out, or how long the car rental line will be. Late afternoon you will run into traffic getting out of Kahului anyway. Nothing you can do about it. It's *nothing* compared to the tie-ups we have on the expressways and tollways on the mainland.

Mentioned in this post
washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long does it take to get out of OGG airport w/car rental

I agree with Sue. My husband gets the luggage while I go get the car. I don't want to waste a minute of my Maui time in the airport!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Cleburne, Texas
Level Contributor
401 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long does it take to get out of OGG airport w/car rental

Here's a suggestion if you don't mind spending a little money, but it's worth it to me. I ship my luggage directly to the hotel from home(saves all the airport hassle) and have a limo take me to the hotel. We get off the plane, the limo takes us straight to the hotel where my luggage is waiting for me. I'm usually checked in and in the room while some are still waiting for luggage, picking up the rental car and driving in traffic to the hotel. It really removes all the stress.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How long does it take to get out of OGG airport w/car rental

Tomaui, How much is "a little money" ??

San Clemente, CA
Level Contributor
2,598 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long does it take to get out of OGG airport w/car rental

It probably too us about 1/2 hr or less to get out of OGG, once we got our rental car. We did not even check our bags! (and I brought plenty of clothing!)

We found that two rolling suitcases fit into the overhead and into our convertible rental car. I also brought a Hawaiian flowered backpack and used it for a purse the entire trip. Actually, I didn't really use a purse, more like a day trip bag! But, you won't need to worry about that!

Mentioned in this post
Simi Valley, CA
Level Contributor
35 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How long does it take to get out of OGG airport w/car rental

The airport is usually a breeze....it's the traffic on Honoapiilani Hwy that will take the longest...but hey...hopefully you'll be renting a convertible..so just put the top down and enjoy the scenery!!! ALOHA!!!!!

Newcastle
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How long does it take to get out of OGG airport w/car rental

The only problem with having the spouse get the luggage and the other getting the car is: If both are going to drive the car both need to show and sign the agreement . My car insurance company will only cover both spouses if both have signed the agreement and are both listed as drivers!

How long will depend on the day of arrival, line up at car rental, luggage delivery to carrousel, and the traffic. If you need to be some where at a specific time ie wedding etc I would estimate liberally.

Get answers to your questions about Kahului