We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kamaole Sands ??

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kamaole Sands ??

We are looking to stay in Kihei for 2 weeks in January 2018 (4 adults), and it was suggested that we take a look at Kamaole Sands, as a co-worker had stayed there. I checked for availability with vrbo and came up with these in the price range we were hoping for (under $300 per night):

https://www.vrbo.com/315020 $275/night

https://www.vrbo.com/1016553 $267/night

https://www.vrbo.com/591562 $308 /night

https://www.vrbo.com/958278 $353/night

https://www.vrbo.com/1148087 $265/night

Any thoughts/suggestions/recommendations?

We need to book fast, so hope you can send something back soon!! thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Kamaole Sands
Kamaole Sands
1,006 Reviews
Maui, HI
9 replies to this topic
San Jose
Level Contributor
3,384 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kamaole Sands ??

If you want to walk to the beach with chairs etc.. you may want to be closer to the road and not way back by the pool. It is a fairly long complex. The beaches across the street are great.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,610 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kamaole Sands ??

I'd want to know the specifics of the "Air conditioning" in *each* of these units. As we've mentioned before, you may be in much more need of it than you think, even in January. I see very little specific info about what rooms have it or don't in the links.

While being closer to the road is nice for walks to the beach-I'd take a unit more in the middle, to avoid road noise.I like the first one, and the third looks nice (I think that was the other one I like, LOL)). The one at 350 is waaaay overpriced.

Hopefully Sue or one of the other Kihei regulars can add more!

Edited: 23 September 2017, 02:10
Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Kamaole Sands ??

Thanks for the info. We've booked a place (although in the end, not one of these units)...

Iowa
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kamaole Sands ??

Chris, great to hear that you've booked! Let the countdown begin! Did you decide to book that overnight in Hana? I keep wanting to take a chance and double book one night, but can't talk hubby into it.

I'll be looking forward to a trip report from you all, since you'll be arriving just after we return home to the winter gloom. We Maui addicts are counting on all you lucky winter visitors to fill us up with tales of whales and sunshine and rainbows!

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
69,610 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kamaole Sands ??

Good to hear! Where did you end up?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Kamaole Sands ??

We actually ended up with another unit in Kamaole Sands, building #2.

After throwing back and forth the idea of staying over in Hana, we've decided to take the majority advice, and 'play it by ear', and not book overnight accommodations. Once we get to Maui, we will work around the weather reports and travel to Hana when the weather will accommodate, and hopefully find an overnight place in/ 1/2 way to Hana (if available) to stay overnight.... If not, we'll make a long day of it and see what we can see.

Our next step is to price out/book the things we absolutely want to see/do, and list out the others as 'nice to to items'. Absolutes: whale watching, snorkeling, RTH, Halleakala summit, and some hiking that includes swimming under waterfalls. Nice tos: farmers markets, sunset/ boat tour, helicopter tour, renting mopeds and/or segways to sight see, kayaking/paddleboarding, and the beaches... lu'au?? (heard they are touristy and cheesy?)

Bit of a bucket list!! As everything is so expensive, we really need to find out what the 'best bang for our bucket' items would be. Thoughts?

Thanks to all your help so far, but far from done :) We've got lots of planning to do and will be looking for your help! :)

Mentioned in this post
Kamaole Sands
Kamaole Sands
1,006 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
69,610 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kamaole Sands ??

Now I'm going to contradict what I posted in your statewide forum thread, LOL.

Start a new thread on the Maui forum. Not Kihei etc-just one on the main Maui forum.

List who is coming, when, where you're staying, and for how long (plus that you have a car). Include any other details like hate fish, love fish, etc if you want restaurant ideas. Include your tentative Hana plans too (good call to not book an overnight ahead).

Then add the bucket list items and ask for feedback. Obviously, some will say you can't miss a heli tour-and others will say skip it but don't miss a luau. Then you'll have to decide!

Edited: 24 September 2017, 01:27
Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Iowa
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kamaole Sands ??

"As everything is so expensive, we really need to find out what the 'best bang for our bucket' items would be. Thoughts?"

In my opinion, best bang for your buck is a whale watch tour. Really, multiple whale watch tours. You seriously haven't lived until you've looked a humpback whale right in the eye. And danced in the rain of a whale blow.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,352 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kamaole Sands ??

Either overnight in Hana or do it from Kihei, which is 20 minutes from Kahului, where you start up Haleakala and start RTH.

Book whale watch from the Kihei small boat landing, immediately south of Kam III beach park, or Maalaea marina. Snorkel the Kamaole beaches, Keawakapu, and on south through Waiela. Surfing lessons and SUP off Kihei. Please...no 'swimming under waterfalls'; the water sources are not safe (bacteria, pesticides, animal waste), and you can be beaned by debris.

Drive up to Kapalua one day, stopping at beaches and at Lahaina Town to browse. Drive south past Makena to see the lava fields against the ocean. We like food at: Paia Fish Market (S. Kihei Branch); Coconut's; Five Palms; Gannons; some of the restaurants in Shops At Wailea.

You are allowed to exit Hawaii without attending a luau. These are not about the food, but the setting and the entertainment. There are two in Wailea. (You can get Costco coupons for the one at the Grand Wailea.)

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
Maalaea
Maalaea