We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horseback Riding

Which Kihei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Topic
Horseback Riding

Hi, we are going to Maui in October and was wondering if anyone had taken a horseback tour. My husband can ride and I am a real beginner so we wouldn't want to hard of a trail. Has anyone got any suggestions as to which ranch or tour would be best and was it a good tour and worth the money? Hope to hear some reviews.

Alberta Travelbug

wis
Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
256 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Horseback Riding

Hello Alberta

I have ridden at both Makena Stables (South Maui) and Mendes Ranch. In fact, this time next week I will be at Mendes (can't wait). Both rides are different. I LOVE Mendes, though. Many reasons. It is a working cattle ranch, and the guides are true Hawaiian cowboys. They are very good at making sure you get the horse that fits you. It is one of the few places (because it is their own property) that you can canter in two places. However, if you just want to trot, that is fine too. But the best part is the scenery. They take you to a waterfall and to the sea cliffs, both with beautiful Kodak moments. It is truly breathtaking. I am the rider, my husband has now become an intermediate rider (due to the fact I drag him on these adventures. He much rather be riding a golf cart). I can't say enough about their operation and the ride itself.

I was a little disappointed in Makena. Thought I'd try it out for a change, and it was an uneventful ride. Any time I can be on the back of a horse is good, but this lacked the excitement and beauty of Mendes. The owners are nice enough, and they have quality horses, and they only take 5-6 out at a time. If you have beginners, you will have a walk ride.

If you have any other questions, let me know or search this site under Mendes. Hope this helps.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Horseback Riding

Hi Wis, thanks for your reply. It does help as when you have never been there before you don't know. I am a beginner so would I be holding the other 6 people back? My husband doesn't matter (LOL) but I don't want to hold everyone else back? Is it hard to get to Mendes from Kihei? By the way have fun on your trip and how long are you staying.

Alberta Travelbug

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Horseback Riding

Hi Wis, one more question have you ever heard of the Ironwood Ranch?

Alberta Travelbug

wis
Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
256 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Horseback Riding

Alberta

You wouldn't be holding anyone back at all. I haven't heard too much about Ironwood other than you ride through pineapple fields and canyons.

Since this will be my ninth time with Mendes, you can tell I'm a bit partial. I wouldn't keep going back if I wasn't sold on the ride. They treat their riders like family. Check out their website at www.mendes.com

Again, I love riding and seeing the ocean. The photo ops are amazing. Bring a camera for sure. We stay in Kihei also, and it takes about 40 minutes max. October is such a great time to go to Maui. Of course, after getting our biggest snow fall of the year today, we can't wait till Saturday. We'll be there eight days, but that is never enough. Is this your first time?

e c
Level Contributor
227 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Horseback Riding

hello wis,

mendes looks great. do you prefer morning or afternoon rides

have you included the lunch

thank you

wis
Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
256 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Horseback Riding

Hi CT

Either one is good. It depends on your schedule, since the first ride leaves around 8:30 in the am. I usually do that one, so I have the rest of the day for other things. Personally, I would not bother with lunch. Though it's a good one, I think you can spend your food $$ elsewhere. Hope this helps.

Happy Trails

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Horseback Riding

Hi, thanks a lot everyone. This is our first time in Maui and I am so excited. I will check out the website you gave me. When we were in Ixtapa, Mexico we went horseback riding and some of it was by the oceon so I think this is the tour for us.

I hope you all have a great trip and when you get back please leave a review on anything new or interesting. Thanks.

Alberta Travelbug

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
114 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Horseback Riding

Updated link. www.mendesranch.com

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Horseback Riding

My 75 yr old father and I were in Maui last week and did the 6 hour horseback ride down into the Haleakala crater. My Dad hadn't been on a horse in decades, and he did fine. The experience was worth every dime of the (expensive) cost, because it would have been a very difficult, arduous hike that he could not have accomplished. The company we used was Pony Express, and the horses and guide were all outstanding. The guide was very knowledgeable about the plant life, geology and Hawaiian mythology associated with the crater. Our legs were sore after the trip, but the memories will last long after the aches are gone. Highly recommended!

greenthumb

Kelowna,BC
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Horseback Riding

Hi Alberta,

My Husband and I drove the Hana higway to get to Piiholo Ranch and I truely mean it when I say it was well worth the drive. This ended up being the highlight of our three week vacation. The guides were great and Hawaiian. They were very knowledgeable about the area, the history. We were informed of the different vegetation and its medicinal purposes. Through out our ride we saw many amazing sights one of which were beautiful waterfalls. A lunch was included in our tour. And as a bonus we saw Woody Harrilson, he owns a home out there - he drove by us as we were crossing the street on our horses, he gave us the 'hang loose hand sign" which we thought was pretty special :-)

We have tried other Horseback riding companies because we wanted to avoid the drive to Hana, but honestly nothing has compared to this one. We now go back there everytime we go. Good luck

Daynna ~ Kelowna, BC

Get answers to your questions about Kihei
Recent Conversations