We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Review Feb 9-22

Alberta
Level Contributor
10 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Review Feb 9-22

We just returned from 2 wonderful weeks in Maui, staying in Kihei. We've always appreciated all the advice and great tips on this forum, so we thought we would high-light some of the things that we loved.

- Getting up at 6:30 because the birds were singing.

- One of our favorite snorkel spots was Ulua Beach (Wailea area). We saw alot of turtles and one day saw a manta ray and a small octopus.

- Went to Molokini with Trilogy Tours. They were great (we chose them because of the great feedback on this forum). They were very professional but had alot of fun. They served breakfast and lunch and made sure everyone was okay with snorkelling. We saw alot of whales too:)

-Went to Lahaina a few times. We found free parking down Prison Street. We ate at Cheeseburger in Paradise and Bubba Gumps. Both had great food and service. Friday nights are popular at the Village Galleries.

-Another nice spot for dinner is in Maalaea at the Waterfront restaurant. We both had fresh fish which was very tasty. Again, good food and service. We made reservations for 5:00 pm and was told if we showed up at 4:50, we should have no problem getting a seat overlooking the harbor (which we did).

-My husbad enjoyed the Whalers Museum (free) at Whalers Village in Kaanapali.

-We drove to Haleakala Park (not for the sunrise), but on a clear morning and had a beautiful view.

-My husband drove the Road to Hana (I didn't go as I get car sick easily). His three favorite spots were the lava caves, the bamboo forest and the Ohe'o Gulch/Seven Pools.

-Enjoyed the walk at Iao Valley. We also went to the Bailey Museum ($5 admission) and the A&B Sugar Museum ($7 admission).

-Walked around the town of Paia (neat shops, galleries and coffee shops) and then checked out the surfing at Hookipa Beach.

-We went to the Maui Ocean Center on our last day as we had to check out by noon and we had an evening flight. The admission was $25 each, but it was worth the money. We really enjoyed the glass tunnel with all the sharks, fish and rays swimming around.

-We stayed at Kamole Sands in Kihei. We enjoyed being able to have breakfast in our condo and having the option to go out for dinner or bbq dinner ourselves. We shopped at the Safeway in Kihei (bring your Safeway card) in the evening (so did alot of other people).

- It was a great trip, especially since the weather was so nice.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Review Feb 9-22

Hi Canadian Travel Bugs, thanks for the tips. We are going in October and are also staying in Kihei. We are also canadian but from Alberta. I'm glad you had a good time.

Alberta Travelbug

Cottage Grove, MN
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Review Feb 9-22

Thanks for the great report. We were there at the same time. Great weather! We may have to try the Maui Ocean Center sometime, but it's hard to do when it's so nice out.

Prosper, Texas
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Review Feb 9-22

Thanks for writing! I enjoyed reading it! Sounds like you had a great time!

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,110 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Review Feb 9-22

Thanks for taking the time to report. Glad you had nice weather.

Alberta
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Review Feb 9-22

We are leaving for the same area in 10 days so I found your post to be very informative & helpful. Thank you!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,929 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Review Feb 9-22

If you don't have a Safeway card or forget to bring yours, you can just apply for one at the Customer Service desk. You can use it immediately.

Level Contributor
860 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Review Feb 9-22

We are leaving TOMORROW YAY and are also staying at kamaole Sands.... any other advice Canadian Travel Bugs? Is it ok to walk around the grounds at night?

Alberta
Level Contributor
10 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Review Feb 9-22

Hi Need2Travel,

I am jealous that you are heading to Maui tomorrow. Have a wonderful time. You can definitely walk around the grounds at Kamole Sands at night; it is well lit. A popular thing to do was to go to beach across the street and watch the sunset and see the whales (they were very active when we were there).

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,060 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Review Feb 9-22

Judging by our bookings this year and last, Alberta is losing significant population to Maui. (Well, at least in the winter months.)

Did you notice the 'Minnesota Pot Luck' at Kalama Park during your visit? Maybe time for an 'Alberta' event?

Glad you had a nice *warm* time!

Level Contributor
860 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Review Feb 9-22

We have a VERY large group of kids coming ranging from 9 - 16, are they ok to walk across the road on their own (ie how busy is that highway?).

Thanks for the advice, ya hope the weather is great thats for sure..

can you take wine to the beach (obviously) or plastic cups for sunset?