We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oyster Pearl

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Topic
Oyster Pearl

Hi, I have never been to Hawaii before and I know in Waikiki there are places where you can pick an oyster and you get a pearl inside. Does anyone know if there is any place on Maui where I can get this. I would love to get a pearl for my Mom as she has always talked about doing this when they were in Waikiki. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Alberta Travelbug

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,451 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oyster Pearl

You will find them all over the place. Just walk down Front St. in Lahaina. They also have them inside most Hilo Hatties.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,466 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oyster Pearl

All of the Maui Diver's shops (and there a ton of them) offer this...just remember you are not getting the highest quality pearl and if you want it set in a ring or whatever their settings can be pricy.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oyster Pearl

Oh yeah, pricey for sure!

DW and I did the Hilo Hatties "thing" on our 25th anniversary trip a few years ago. Wouldn't you know it, the oyster we picked had twins!! Yep, two identical pearls. So then, of course, I was obliged to purchase another oyster, because you see, a set of earrings are apparently worthless without a matching necklace!!

Long story, short, the three pearls cost me a total of $10. The beautiful gold plumaria matching settings were quite another story!!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Oyster Pearl

Thanks for all the replys. I will probably just bring the pearls home and have something done with them here, or maybe you can't do that. Do you have to have them placed in a setting when you pick the oyster?

Alberta Travelbug

Canada
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oyster Pearl

Hey Alberta, no you don't have to set them while you are there, any good jeweller will be able to set them for you. So don't be pressured into setting them there unless of course you see something that you really like;) I did that a couple of years ago, my son (8 years old at the time) wanted to pick an oyster and then in his sweet little boy way gave me the pearl only if I had it set! That ended up costing approx. $200...

WI
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Oyster Pearl

I just returned from maui last week and got sucked into buying an entire pearl set. We received a coupon for 50% off a pearl so we picked one out, and were shocked at the price of the settings. The store clerk then gave us a free pearl, and sure enough we got "twins", which were made into earings. So three pearls only cost me $10, but the cheapest settings added up to well over $100. It was fun, but they sure got us!

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,102 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oyster Pearl

What are the chances that there are many "twins?"

Are they putting two grains of sand in the pearls nowadays?

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oyster Pearl

Hi

I hope this doesn't burst any bubbles but the pearl thing is a fun promotion.

The real sale is the very highly priced settings.

It is convenient that the employee can drill the pearl while you wait and glue it into the mounting you choose. Silver settings can tarnish and stain the pearl.

Now what I saw coming out of the oyster at one of these sales booth was a dark, dark black/blue pearl.

Very exciting until I realized that that type of pearl (akoya) does not come that color naturally.

Pearls are generally dyed after they are removed from the oyster or mollusk.

They have been dying pearls for years and it can be permanent and stable.

The odds of getting a matched set of pearls same size, same tone, same shape, same quality in one oyster that produced them both at the same time is not in mother natures statistics.

You can buy oysters in cans in the stores that also guarantee you a pearl.

So I started watching these opening of oysters and never saw a pearl with a blemish and never saw an off-round pearl. They all were semetrical and all gem quality and mother nature is not that consistant.

It is a fun $10 event, but use your logic and decide what the setting is worth to you.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,102 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oyster Pearl

Can we say octopearls? lol

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,466 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oyster Pearl

While I'm not a big fan of Wikipedia this has some good info! Yes most of the promotion pearls are dyed however not ALL colored pearls are dyed! Good black pearls are cultivated in the black lipped oyster and South Sea pearls are another variety! Always good to educate yourself if you plan on investing in pearls!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl