We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Maui Beach?

Which Kihei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which Maui Beach?

Hi, I'm trying to decide which beach on Maui to stay at for the last 2 days of my stay on Maui. The previous two days we'll be Upcountry, so I'm thinking the last two days we may want to stay somewhere near Lahaina so as to better explore the western part of the island.

Ideally, we'd find a beach area that is

- beautiful (of course!)

- romantic

- waves not too rough - important as we'll be there in January, so I guess that eliminates the north coast, but I wasn't sure about the rest.

- not terribly built-up and city-like, but maybe with a little beach-bar-gazebo type of thing nearby, something like that, as opposed to total seclusion

- not too far of a drive from Lahaina as we'll want to have dinner there and won't want to drive too far at night.

Just want to add that we're spending 3 nights in Waikiki earlier in the trip, so would like to avoid that same scene.

Any ideas? Kaanapali? Kihei? Makena? Thanks in advance :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Maui Beach?

Just adding that I meant to post this in the Maui forum, not the Kihei-specific one :)

Sorry!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Maui Beach?

If you are set on eating dinner in Lahaina and not driving very far after, that rules out Kihei and Makena. Prince in Makena is nice and you could have a short drive to Wailea or Kihei restaurants...

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,169 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Maui Beach?

Kaanapali/Lahaina are the most touristy areas of Maui. Farther north may prove chilly in January. Try South Maui, anywhere from the Kamaole Beach Parks south through Wailea and Makena. You might plan to shop and lunch in Lahaina instead of going there for dinner -- if you want to stay in a quieter setting.

I'm not sure why you would want to stay Upcountry on Maui in January.

It would help to know what you would like to spend. You will be limited to a hotel for a two-night stay as condos usually have four night minimums.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Maui Beach?

ChiSue, we really want to be able to do some stargazing, and had read that Upcountry is the best place to do that, that the beach areas have too much light pollution. Would you agree with that? Also, we want to be super close to the Haleakala summit for sunrise, and thought it would be a little less touristy. Do you think it's going to be freezing??

I think what I'm mainly looking for in a beach hotel is more of a boutique style hotel, something low rise and romantic rather than a big resort type place. I guess budget is around $200/night, which isn't much for Maui, I know. :-/

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Maui Beach?

How about Hana? Google Tradewinds Tropicals, both cabins are 175/night and Hamoa beach is to die for gorgeous and fairly calm. The cabins have hot tubs and gas grills and on a clear night you can see more stars than Hollywood Blvd!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Maui Beach?

Interesting idea, MauiKitty... GoogleMaps says it's a 1 hour and 6 minutes drive from Hana to the summit of Haleakala; does that sound about right to you? That's going the south way. Do you think that would be an insane drive in the dark? It sounds like the road south of Hana gets a little hairy, and I'm afraid of heights! (I know, driving up the volcano is going to be on cliffs.. was just not sure if this might be worse).

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Maui Beach?

I would NOT recommend this drive in the dark.

Can you change your plans to allow you to drive there in the AM and stay 2 nights? Worth it-IMHO

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Maui Beach?

OK, here's the itinerary I'm now considering (please let me know if this should be moved to another thread or forum!)

Arrive HNL Saturday evening

Sunday - Waikiki/Oahu

Monday - Waikiki/Oahu

Tuesday - Waikiki/Oahu

Wednesday morning - 6:30am ferry to Maui, arrive 10:am, drive Road to Hana, stay in Hana overnight.

Thursday - Hana area, stay Hana for a second night

Friday - move to Lahaina, stay in Lahaina.

Sat morn - sunrise at Haleakala summit. stop at Iao Valley State Park. Stay in Lahaina night 2.

Sun - ferry back, fly home that night.

My biggest concern is the 2 1/2 - 3 hr drive to the summit from Lahaina! Is that insane? Other than that though, does anyone have any comments/suggestions? Besides to consider not taking the ferry :)

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,363 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Maui Beach?

Wow, yes, wow, that sounds like a lot and not terribly romantic. I think in Maui, you'll be spending more time in the car than anything else. Hope you have back-up plans in case the ferry isn't going. High waves can prevent the ferry from going anywhere. You have such a short period of time on Maui and Oahu, I'd want to stay in one location on Maui for that short time unless you are both backpack carrying, travel fanatics.

Kihei might keep you closer to Haleakala. If you are wanting to be in the ocean, you might want to stay in south Kihei. Some of the best beaches are in south Kihei, Wailea and Makena. Take a day trip to Lahaina if this is important to you. Personally, I think trying to cover the whole island in 4 days sounds like too much. Prioritize and try to have one day of just being on the beach or a handful of beaches. You don't need to see everything. Just driving the road to Hana will take most of a day for the round trip. The good news, there is almost nothing on Maui that will remind you of Waikiki except the warm weather.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Maui Beach?

tesser7 wrote:

Wednesday morning - 6:30am ferry to Maui, arrive 10:am, drive Road to Hana, stay in Hana overnight.

Thursday - Hana area, stay Hana for a second night

Friday - move to Lahaina, stay in Lahaina.

Sat morn - sunrise at Haleakala summit. stop at Iao Valley State Park. Stay in Lahaina night 2.

Sun - ferry back, fly home that night.

My biggest concern is the 2 1/2 - 3 hr drive to the summit from Lahaina! Is that insane? Other than that though, does anyone have any comments/suggestions? Besides to consider not taking the ferry :)

>>>>>>>

Are you really set on the Haleakala Sunrise? I could skip that and do it when you have more time on future trips. Like on Friday, when you return from Hana, visit Iao Valley and then head over to Lahaina/Ka'anapali and STAY PUT! You are doing a lot of driving to and from Hana, so maybe some down time in Lahaina area might be good.

jc

Get answers to your questions about Kihei
Recent Conversations