We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Kihei - some recommendations!!

British Columbia
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from Kihei - some recommendations!!

Just thought I would mention a few of the highlights of our trip for those of you wondering what they should do!

Favorite shows - Warren and Annabelle - would highly recommend that you get the whole package - pupu's were great and don't eat before going!

Ulalena - absolutely beautiful show!

Favorite boat trips -

snorkeling trips - Four Winds 11 - Captain John and crew make it a trip to remember - well worth the money!

Sunset Cruise - Kai Kanani - a must to do - again a great crew, whale watching awesome, another evening to remember.

Eating - Five Palms was our favorite - check out their happy hour pupu's - for less expensive but great food Freds cantina and Moose Mcgillicutty's. Lunch at Mama's Fish House was expensive but one of our highlights! As well as the Waterfront in Ma'alaea Harbour had exceptional food and service.

Snorkeling - we found the la Peruse Bay area to be our favorite - easy to get in and good fish, turtles, etc.

Just a few things but wouldn't have missed any of them...aloha!!!

Kai Kanani Sailing Charters
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling
Maui Kayak Adventures
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Kayaking & Canoeing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Hawaiian Paddle Sports
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Kayaking & Canoeing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Redline Rafting Co.
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Water Sports, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling
S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,718 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from Kihei - some recommendations!!

Thanks for the trip report.

Question about the snorkeling..

>>>>>> - we found the la Peruse Bay area to be our favorite - easy to get in and good fish, <<<<<<<<

Do you mean Ahihi Bay??

Don't mean to be picky but since La Perouse is closed to snorkelers, didn't want someone to read this and head down there.

white rock bc
Level Contributor
532 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from Kihei - some recommendations!!

Hi ShuswapSue

Shuswap is my favorite lake. Where is Ahihi Bay?

We were at le perouse Bay last year snorkeling and it was great. Can you please let me know where Ahihi Bay is?

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from Kihei - some recommendations!!

White Rock is our favorite stop over on the way to Vancouver Island! If you know of a good B&B would be greatly appreciated.

Ok guys - I may have my names mixed up - First off - Ahihi Cove is a short drive past Big Beach - it is hard to miss as is a very distinctive cove - parking for a few cars immediately across the road otherwise people park further up along side of road. The snorkeling was good when we were there but we had to go out quite a way to get clearer water. Also, depending on the tide it can be quite shallow getting out over the coral. We would travel on a short distance where to the right was a lava parking lot with washroom. We would park there and walk down a short lava path to the water - there was a small area of sand at the far end which we snorkeled out of. Very easy to get in and out, lots of fish to the left but we had to swim our quite a ways for the clearer water - enjoyed the right - good fish right away and lots of beautiful coral - ended up going back quite a few times. Looking at our Maui Revealed it looks like this bay is called "the Dumps". We did drive out to La Perouse Bay and yes it was closed to snorkelers. Our Maui Revealed book was invaluable!!

Mentioned in this post
Big Beach
Big Beach
229 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
La Perouse Bay
La Perouse Bay
146 Reviews
Maui, HI
S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,718 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from Kihei - some recommendations!!

Yes that's the Dumps. It is a pretty place. I only take friends there that are good snorkelers. If the south swells are rolling, it's not the place to go.

If we have visitors that have snorkeled for only a few years we take them elsewhere for their safety and ours.

I rate this place for advance snorkels because we have been there when conditions have changed quickly and it was a "task" to exit the water.I've seem more than one exit with bloody knees and hands.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
49,775 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from Kihei - some recommendations!!

Moanakala is the name of the place called "dumps". Due to the publishing of the Maui Revealed book the area's known as the fishbowl and aquarium were run over with thousands of visitors. The place was trashed and sacred Hawaiian sites were desecrated. That is why these once pristine places are now off limits to ALL. They have been closed down for at least 2 years for recovery and study to see if it will be possible to re open them. Moanakala and Ahihi Cove may not be far behind!! Maui Revealed is RIVILED in Maui.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
82 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from Kihei - some recommendations!!

For detailed information on what part of the Ahihi-Kinau Natural Area Reserve is closed, visit

hawaii.gov/dlnr/…ahihikinau

You can print out a brochure that has a map of the closed areas.

Mentioned in this post
Ahihi-Kinau Natural Area Reserve
Ahihi-Kinau Natural Area...
173 Reviews
Maui, HI
nwf
NSW Australia
Level Contributor
910 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from Kihei - some recommendations!!

Hi Ms/ Fuzz,

You are a true believer and you have it right.

I noticed in my 4 times I have seen MAUI I

have noticed a shortage of Rangers in the South

and Western sides of the Island. In Reality it

is expensive to clean up after the untidy ones

whether they be local or tourists.

They should give the local offenders a few weeks

community service cleaning the Island of the mess

others make and fining the tourists a motza for

their attitude of neglect..No Place is spared

from some of these clowns who would not mess in

their own backyard.

All the Best to You,. NWF

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
8. Re: Just back from Kihei - some recommendations!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Kihei
Recent Conversations