We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheapest groceries in maui

co
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
cheapest groceries in maui

Everyone has been so helpful so far but now I need to know where the cheapest place to buy some basics like coffee, creamer, cereal, juice, milk etc. would be. does the walmart there sell food? or is there a cheaper place

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,717 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cheapest groceries in maui

Hi 6gunkitty,

I am no expert, but the cheapest place I found to buy milk was the Wal-Mart in Kahului. It is NOT a Superstore w/full grocery, but does have a good assortment of food items, like the ones you names. We went to Costco for a lot of our goods, as we were staying in condos for 12 days. Groceries are quite a bit more than at home, but hey, it is a 5 hr. flight from the west coast, so anything they don't produce there has to be higher! You will save a lot of money just by eating in when you can.

Have fun!!!

Eugene, OR, USA
Level Contributor
195 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cheapest groceries in maui

That response made me wonder, what are some smart local groceries to plan on buying, and where? As you said, anything that has to be flown in is going to be spendy, but not everything is flown in. We love fresh fruit and veggies.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cheapest groceries in maui

Most of the items mention in the original post could be found at WalMart and probably your cheapest location.

For the fresh fruit and veggies question I would do web search on farmers markets. I believe there is one most days somewhere on the island except Sundays. You get nice fresh produce and it helps the local farmers. You can also find some of the less common items you won't find in the grocery stores.

I will say the best place we have found pineapples is Costco.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,717 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cheapest groceries in maui

Hi Oregon,

Well, again, I've only been to Maui once, but I'm counting each and every day until our next trip April '11!!

We looked for Farmers Markets, and roadside stands. The Maui DE's can give you a TON more info than me, but there is a farmer's market in the Kahana area. We stopped at some roadside stands, especially in Hana. Yum!!! AMAZING fruits and veggies, and avocadoes as big as softballs!! If you're staying west Maui, we really like the Lahaina Farms grocery that opened up in the same new shopping center as The Melting Pot restaurant.

Okay, Mamma, and all you great Maui DE's help 6gunkitty and OregonTraveller out with their grocery and fresh local produce questions!! Mahalo ini advance!!

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cheapest groceries in maui

Here is a link with info on Farmers markets and ag products in Maui county.

mauicountyfarmbureau.org/farmers_markets.sht…

And what Southerngirl528 said about stands on the way to Hana I agree whole heartedly. There is (I'm guessing it's still there) an "On your honor" stand on the road to the black sand beach. We have picked up Apple bananas and Strawberry Papaya's there. Like Southerngirl said, "YUM!!".

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cheapest groceries in maui

You definately want to avoid the small groceries & convenience stores...I almost needed CPR after checking prices at some of them.

There's a Foodland in Kihei that is similar to Wal-Mart prices without the drive to Kahului, and they are a full grocery (the Wal-Mart has no produce, meat, etc., only packaged foods).

They had some really good deals on beer. One thing I learned quickly is a bottle of Heineken weighs as much as a bottle of PBR, so the price is not much higer to drink the good stuff. This probably transfers to bulky foods as well.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,030 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cheapest groceries in maui

There is also a Kmart next to Costco on Dairy Rd near the airport that has about the same selection and prices as Walmart. That's where we usually stop on the way to our condo in Kihei.

After we get settled in our condo, then we head out to Long's and Safeway to stock up on the rest of the items need for our stay. If you don't already have one, stop at customer service and get a Safeway card. It's free and will save you from 15% to 30% on most items. A Von's card will work there as well.

Just for comparison, imported food items are generally 30% higher on island than here in Oregon.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,933 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cheapest groceries in maui

Did most of my shopping for the items you are looking for at K-Mart. Liquor there is cheaper than most places. Then I would also go to Long's. Good liquor prices there also. Most farmer's markets will actually be more expensive than the local products in the grocery stores. Kula strawberries for example. They were always cheaper at Safeway than the farmer's markets in Kihei. But, I believe the produce will be fresher at the farmer's markets!!

Edited: 13 March 2010, 23:56
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
747 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cheapest groceries in maui

We brought some of the basics from home (i.e. coffee, aluminum foil, tea), and made a Costco run when we arrived to buy a jug of milk, juices, and some meat.

We also discovered the Lahaina Farm Market, which may not be the cheapest place to buy groceries, but we were staying close by at the Westin Kaanapali villas and it seemed to be the best place to buy Hawaiian type food. Plus, we wanted to go there anyways because it was where someone on TA suggested to go for good ahi tuna poke.

I was soooo surprised to see how cheap some things were in there. A pineapple or papaya or avocado was 99cents. Spam matsuba was $1.75. Poke was $8.99/lb. The fresh ahi tuna poke was $13.99/lb. Great deli items for a picnic on the beach. I bought a huge top sirloin steak that fed our family of 4 nicely with leftovers too for $14.

So I also want to say "THANK YOU" to the TA person who recommended Lahaina Farm Market. Can't wait to go back there again to taste more Poke!!!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
51,204 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cheapest groceries in maui

Aloha,

Yes, you discovered why I rec Lahaina Farms a lot! Some of their stuff is pricey, but like I said-and you confirmed-some is a bargain, especially for the quality.