We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ross Department Store

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Topic
Ross Department Store

Hi,

Can anyone tell me where Ross Department Store is? I have noticed it mentioned a few times through the forums but have never seen it on our past trips. I don't want to miss out on some good deals.

Alberta Travelbug

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,618 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ross Department Store

Ha-ha! Ross is in Kahului. It's a discount store. We have some similar stores in Chicagoland: TJ Maxx and Marshalls. I wouldn't make a special trip into Kahului just for this.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,983 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ross Department Store

There have been shopping posts in the past few years where folks really loved Ross. I certainly would not take a special trip. But if you are doing the discount shopping thing -- like K-Mart or Costco, etc -- then a trip to Ross would be OK.

Oddly, the Ross Stores in California tend to have junky clothes, but decent housewares!

(Shopping in Maui is OK ... but great in Honolulu!)

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
872 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ross Department Store

Ross is located about 2 miles from the airport,

whenever we go off Island we hit a Ross store. I agree I would not make a special trip to the Maui one, but would stop either just arriving or departing from the airport. I do have to admit though I have gone on Ross shopping trips on Oahu around the Holidays they have 10 stores I have hit them all. I seem to always find something for myself or someone in my large ohana.

Edited: 02 July 2010, 23:05
S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,385 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ross Department Store

Where is it...follow me..I can get there but directions is another thing...I'll give a stab..It's located behind the Maui Mall on Kamehameha Ave next to the Safeway. Just a block or two from Pu'unene Ave.

Kamehameha Ave runs parallel to Ka'ahumanu for a few blocks.

Hope that helps. They do have a rack of Hawaii print shirts/ aloha shirt for the guys in the men's dept and in the ladies dept you will also find aloha shirts and dress on a separate rack than the "regular" clothes..

If you are comeing from Kihei when 311 becomes 350 (Pueunene Ave) at the church go straight. Kamehameha Ave will be one block bfore Kamehameha..turn right..two lights , on the right is Safeway and Ross the backside of Maui Mall will be on your left.

Edited: 02 July 2010, 23:37
North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ross Department Store

My fellow Canadian: do not miss an opportunity to check out Ross, especially for (female) swimsuits! Every time I visit Maui (about 8 times in the last 5 years) we hit the Ross store. I was there just last week, and got a very nice swimsuit: $5.99 US with MSRP $90. My friend got one for $3.99, MSRP $80 - unreal! In fairness, those were exceptional bargainx - most of the swimsuits are about $16.99, bikinis are less. Also got IZOD capris for $12.99, Jones NY jeans for $9.99. I was with 4 other ladies and all of us got great deals.

You may have to go there more than once (we did) - you just never know what they'll have. When I was there last November the swimsuit selection was not as plentiful. But every one of my 6 bathing suits has been bought at that store over the last several years. It would kill me to pay full price!!!

The directions you have been given are good - small correction in barefootAR's directions. "Kamehameha Ave. will be one block before KA'AHUMANU (not Kamehameha). Kahului is not that big of a town and Ross is quite easy to find. I only wish they had them in Canada!

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,749 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ross Department Store

Thats where everybody gets there Hawaiian shirts at half price. Have fun

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ross Department Store

Just came back from the Honolulu Ross Store on Ward Ave....

It was packed this afternoon with Holiday shoppers; 19 minutes to wait for a checker.

Its a great place for many household things (I spent $132 and got two carts full) and many types of clothes. The socks and underwear are name brand and cheap. But if you are looking for any quality at all in your Aloha shirts, Ross is not the place.

I've bought several different makers in the place over the years (off-brands are all they carry) and was always disappointed.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,618 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ross Department Store

DH is still wearing some cool cotton lawn ONO brand shirts he bought years ago -- not at Ross, at Macy's -- back when it was Liberty House. He also got a very nice one once at...Costco! LOL

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,983 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ross Department Store

Truly -- for Hawaiian shirts -- go to Macy's -- the big one at the Ala Moana Shopping Center. There is practically a whole floor of them, and they go on sale. Look in the newspaper for Macy's coupons, and sometimes you can just pick up coupons at the service center in the store (or ask a cashier).

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ross Department Store

Thanks to all of you for replying to my post. It sounds great and if my fellow canadian and everyone else who posted thinks it is worth a try then I will be there. We only have three months to wait.

Alberta Travelbug