We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery Store - Shopping - Getting around

London
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Grocery Store - Shopping - Getting around

Hello, me again..... lol

I decided to add another post for my other questions.

is it easy to find grocery store in Kihei? i would like to buy water, breakfast stuff etc.

I heard a lot about shopping - How is shopping in Maui? Outlets or crafts/souvenirs or high end cost product? Are the prices cheaper than most places? What about buying a new camera, is it worth it?

Getting around - Do you think I could rent bikes and cycle for most parts? My husband wants to rent a car but I prefer bycicles.

We are staying at Castle Kamaole Sands - 2695 South Kihei Road Kihei, Maui, HI 96753

Thanks again for your help.

Take care and have a great day!

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery Store - Shopping - Getting around

It is very easy to find groceries and supplies in Kihei. From Kamaole Sands it's about a mile and a half north to Foodland - but Whalers General Store is a couple of blocks up and they carry a lot of basic things such as you mentioned.

If you are not driving a car the groceries will be an interesting venture - but if you only want milk then you could grab it at Whalers General and it shouldn't spoil in a few hundred feet. I would go in the morning though! It's an easy walk from the condos. There are also several restaurants right around there.

The car issue is one that come up now and then, for whatever reason sometimes people just don't want to mess with one! So it is doable in Kihei, but you won't see a lot of the island. From your location the beaches are excellent - lots of thigns very handy - your call.

Shopping - lots of shopping in Kihei! Whalers General Store, ABC stores all carry lots of souveniers - as well as snacks and assorted sundries. The same shopping center just north of you will have several shops and another little center ac ross from there with still more. Maui Clothing Store has an outlet up on the Piilanii Hwy. If you have a car you can find craft fairs, clothing shops, well - there are gobs of them. High end ones would be in Shops at Wailea, but I like Serendipity which is again just about a mile and half north of you across from Kalama Park.

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery Store - Shopping - Getting around

Hawaii is an expensive place to shop. The only place you might get a deal on a camera is Costco

It's a great place to shop for arts and crafts. Beautiful jewelry is everywhere.

I wouldn't consider not renting a car. So much to see.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery Store - Shopping - Getting around

I hope this link works - the Drive Guide's are not the best maps around - but for finding things in your immediate area it's pretty good.

hawaiidriveguides.com/hdg/maui20100609#pg65

Foodland Grocery Store is located at 1881 South Kihei Road, across from #6

- your lodgings are #60 on the map -

Safeway is a huge grocery store and is #2 on the map on the corner of Piikea and Piilani hwy

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,581 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery Store - Shopping - Getting around

How will you get from the airport to Kihei? Explore Haleakala or Road to Hana? Iao Valley? Most visitors rent a car for the duration. You won't want to cycle far. This isn't Bermuda -- it's HOT, and Maui has mountains. The only bikers I see are the triathelon variety. You can rent a compact car for days for the cost of one taxi ride across the island. You cannot take luggage on the Maui bus line.

Will you be in Honolulu for part of your trip? Do any camera and clothing shopping there.

Foodland on Kihei Road isn't far from Kam Sands. There's also a larger grocery store, Safeway, in the Piilani shopping center off Piilani Hwy. (You'll pass this going from the airport to the condo.) Before you shop either store, go to the customer service counter and get a customer card for savings.

South of Kam Sands is Shops At Wailea, a high end mall -- some restaurants there too. You'll also want to head north, into West Maui. Shops on Front Street, Lahaina, and at Whaler's Village, Kaanapali, are eager to relieve you of funds -- Hawaii's is a tourist economy! Lahaina is the only place you'll pay to park; get your ticket validated in a mall store.

Tell your DH he is right and reserve a car now for airport pickup.

London
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery Store - Shopping - Getting around

Thanks, I think I am sticking with a car rental. I am not that fit. lol.

Regarding shopping, I am not a big shopper, I just got curious as they refer to shopping in so many forum that I thought it would be a place with no tax etc. lol .

Thanks again, all tips were good.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery Store - Shopping - Getting around

For buying electronics, like a camera, Walmart (Off Dairy Rd.) can have a good variety. Try Sears in the Queen Kaahumanu Center also.

In Kihei, there is Kalama Village on South Kihei Rd. It has lots of Hawaii made (and China made) items that are both practical like handbags and backpacks, and can be kitschy like hula dolls.

You'll want a car on a daily basis to get the most from you trip.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,819 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grocery Store - Shopping - Getting around

You'll find shopping at the ABC store and Whalers General Store a bit more expensive than the grocery stores. There are 3 grocery stores available in Kihei. Safeway, on the Piilani Hwy, Foodland and Times, both on S. Kihei Rd.

People from Australia find shopping in the islands much cheaper than where they are from, Americans, not so much. Just depends on what prices you are looking for. You will find a GET (general excise tax) on almost everything you buy.

As far as buying electronics, most prices on Maui will be higher than the other islands and the mainland USA. Don't know again, how they compare to prices in Europe.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grocery Store - Shopping - Getting around

You need a car, you need a car, you need a car. Reserve it for airport pick up ... and reserve it now.

Shopping ... yes, I think that Honolulu is better for clothes and other articles, but there are the big-box discount stores in Kahului ... and the mall, as well. Front Street in Lahaina is a WONDERFUL places to shop for crafts and souvenirs, and a great place to eat as well. I also love Makawao for arts and crafts. You will have no problem finding souvenirs.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,581 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Grocery Store - Shopping - Getting around

Glad we convinced you to get a car. (Did you tell your DH he was *right*? LOL)

You are hereby notified that we expect a Trip Report when you get home!

London
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Grocery Store - Shopping - Getting around

ChiSue ,

are you crazy? I will never say something like that lol

As it is a deal, I will make sure to write about our experience.

Thanks all!