We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 bedroom wailea/kihei recommendation

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
20 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
2 bedroom wailea/kihei recommendation

My husband, 3 kids, my mom and I are needing a 2-bedroom for 2 weeks in February. Last time, we were at the Ekolu Village. That was fine, but this time we'd like to not have to get in the car to get to the water. And, we'd ideally like to be by the water so we can easily come and go while my husband works. We definitely want a kitchen. Are there any recommendations for a nice place in the $200 - $250 range or am I dreaming? Thanks so much.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 bedroom wailea/kihei recommendation

You might be able to grab up a place at the Maui Kamaole or Kamaole Sands on vrbo for that price. It's a walk down the hill and across the street but I don't think you'll get closer to the beach for that price at that time of year.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 bedroom wailea/kihei recommendation

I've stayed at most of the beachfront condo complexes in So. Kihei. You might be able to find something at either Kamaole Nalu or Hale Hui Kai in your price range.

At Hale Hui Kai it would be a side unit without an ocean view. I've stayed in 207 twice, which is very comfortable and charmingly decorated. I also stayed in a unit on the other side, maybe 304? I love the small size of the complex, and the fact that you are just a few steps from fabulous Keawakapu Beach. We spent the majority of our time on the lawn and/or beach and did not mind the lack of view. Bello Realty, which is one of my favorite Maui agencies, handles most rentals. You can see units here:

www.halehuikaimaui.com

You could also find units in your price range at Kamaole Nalu. I've stayed there twice...another excellent oceanfront location just a short walk to either Kam I or Kam II. Alii Resorts took over rental responsibility for most units a couple of years ago. Rates were better when there was an on-site rental office. Most of the units are not as attractively furnished at Hale Hui Kai, but they have the advantage of in-unit washer/dryer. I also like the saline pool.

See units here: www.aliiresorts.com

We all have different priorities. Personally, I would rather have a lesser unit on the beach than a newer one across the road.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 bedroom wailea/kihei recommendation

Oops. I meant to say that most units at Kamaole Nalu are not as attractively furnished AS those at Hale Hui Kai.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,047 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 bedroom wailea/kihei recommendation

February is high season, and a very popular season.

I like this site for South Maui condos because the site manager has vetted the condos. No 'dogs'. www.mauiownercondos.com

Bello is good. Ali'i Resorts is good.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 bedroom wailea/kihei recommendation

You can't get any closer to the beach than the Hale Pau Hana and their rates are right at $250 (or slightly more) per night.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 bedroom wailea/kihei recommendation

Dengay: Have you looked at Hale Pua Hana's rates in the last couple years? I used to love it there, but prices are sky high...even with "specials". For February the cheapest unit is the 1B/1B on upper floor of the low rise building...$300. With 6 people, OP needs at least a 2 bedroom and they were $399 in Feb 2010.

Most of the HPH units are 1 bedroom. They only have three 2B units in the rental pool and one of those is adults only. Sadly, I am not able to consider HPH for my Maui visits anymore. It has the BEST beachfront location. Kamaole Nalu is right next door, though, and is less expensive.

Hale Kamaole has some large units that might be a good option for this family. Some are 2 bedrooms plus a den and/or loft. Across the street from Kam III.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
20 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 bedroom wailea/kihei recommendation

Thank you so much! These now definitely make up my short list. Since you all know this area so well, may I ask a similar question? If this were YOUR trip, where would you stay (with my $200 - $300/nt. price in mind)? I know everyone's preferences vary, so this might not be a fair question. For what it's worth, my mom has taken care of my dad for the past 12 years while his Alzheimer's has progressed (he was only 64 when diagnosed). Now that he's in a nursing home, I just really want her to relax and to do something for herself. So that's one of my top priorities - a nice place for her that can serve as a home base that it feels nice to come home to. Thanks all - please know I truly appreciate your insight.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 bedroom wailea/kihei recommendation

To help with recommendations, how would your mom rank these priorities?

A. Quality of interior (size, upgrades, furniture, decor)

B. View (distant ocean OK? How 'bout garden view?)

C. Close walk to beach

Also, does your mom have any physical limitations where you might have to consider things like stairs, distance to pool and parking, etc.

I wish you were my daughter! You are so nice to consider her needs above your own.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
20 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 bedroom wailea/kihei recommendation

How kind of you to ask questions. She's a spry 72, so no physical limitations. I think closeness to the beach would be #3, which totally contradicts my first message. You're right - I'm trying to balance what's best for all of us but certainly wanting to make sure she can savor this. So I'd say view #1 (sunset would be great), followed by interior (although updated would be wonderful - I'd love a decent kitchen), followed by closeness to the beach. You guys have gotten me thinking that maybe closeness to the beach should be lower on my list (especially since price is at a premium there) and that driving isn't that big a deal. Thanks for your concern and help.

Coquitlam, BC...
Level Contributor
273 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 bedroom wailea/kihei recommendation

I think Hale Kamaole would be perfect for you - we stayed there before and thought the location was great. Nice view, 2 pools, 2 bbq areas which we used frequently, and it was just across the road from Kam 3 beach. We would defilnately stay there again.