We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thrifty car rental

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
304 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Thrifty car rental

I have booked a car with Thrifty for 17 days in Feb/Mar 2011. Rate is good but....have been reading online reviews that are absolutely terrible 87 out of 89 give them 1 star! Not necessarily Maui - all over the US. Dirty cars, extremely long lineups, cars not available as booked, shady dealings re price, incorrect billing etc. Has anyone had any experience with them in Maui? My backup is Kihei Rent a Car.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,169 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thrifty car rental

I've never rented from Thrifty so can't give you in info................but, I haven't heard anything bad about them!! One of the reasons TA won't do rental car company reviews is because when you have a good experience, or just normal, nobody writes about those. Who wants to waste their time writing a good review of a rental car company!! But boy, when one doesn't go your way, you hear about it. Thus, you will find plenty reviews about people's bad experiences with the company. I really wouldn't worry about it, it is what it is. If someone on this board had a bad experience, I'm sure you'll hear about it!!

Just my two cents, keep with Thrifty.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
304 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thrifty car rental

Thanks for that. I tend to agree with you about negative reviews - people seldom post when things go right. I wasn't worried about it until (too much time on my hands I guess!), I decided to read some reviews. I appreciate your response.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,220 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thrifty car rental

I use Thrifty for all my Hawaii rentals (Maui and Kauai) and have always been very satisfied with both car and service.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
304 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thrifty car rental

Happy to hear that ..... thanks!

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,234 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thrifty car rental

use any major rental company with the cheapest price for the car you want and dont sweat it

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
365 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thrifty car rental

We rented from Thrifty for most all of our car rentals during our Hawaiian cruise 4 years ago. We didn't have any problems with them. We even had a flat tire on one of the cars and the process went smoothly. Of course, they make you pay for the flat tire. :-( I don't remember dirty cars. Our reservations were available without problem.

Indiana
Level Contributor
836 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Thrifty car rental

I always use Thrifty for my Maui trips. I have never had any problems with them. You can sign up to be a Blue Chip Member (which is free) and your paperwork will be waiting for you when you arrive. You don't have to stand in the regular line. Your bookings also allow for free days rental in the future.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thrifty car rental

We used Thrifty on Maui in 2009 and I didn't have one problem. They do have a timeshare repr there, but we just told her we weren't interested and she said ok, thank you for your time.....that was it.

We rented a Jeep Liberty (4 adults) and liked it on the Road to Hana. We arrived at different times but flew to Kauai and we got all of our luggage in the Liberty. THought we were going to have to make 2 trips to the Airport but the Liberty held us and the luggage.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
304 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thrifty car rental

I really appreciate the feedback and you have all but my mind at ease. It's nice to hear from people who have used them in Maui. We will join Blue Chip so that should ease the process.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,169 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thrifty car rental

I'm so glad you all proved my point. Thrifly it is, Nez43...........have a wonderful time!!

Get answers to your questions about Kihei
Recent Conversations