We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Mauian or Kihei Surfside??

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Royal Mauian or Kihei Surfside??

Hello,

My husband and I are making our second trip to Maui in March, the first was our Honeymoon where we splurged on resorts (Kaanapali Sheraton and Fairmont Wailea). We're going back, now with an 11 month old and can't decide between the Royal Mauian or Kihei surfside. Available units are limited, the Surfside unit is clean but looks a little bit older, the Royal Mauian is recently updated. The beach at Kihei surfside looks better, but the unit at the Royal Mauian is better. Any input??

Also, there are a couple completely upgraded units at Hale Hui Kai but they don't have views, I'm assuming the other two options would be better.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Mauian or Kihei Surfside??

Aloha -

I am sitting on the lanai at Hale Hui Kai as I write this. The unit I am rentin doesa have a lovely view, so I can't comment on that part, I realize many here do not have great views. That said the proximity and the beach itself are really awesome. I can get to the beach in about 30 seconds and its one of the best beaches. The common lounge area has beautiful views and is shaded and wind blocked, but open air.

Depending on the unit, they can lack privacy, so that could matter with a baby. The higher the unit number, the better.

Well, gotta get ready to go on a whalewwatch! Good luck.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,822 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Mauian or Kihei Surfside??

I'd probably choose themore updated unit at the Royal Mauian. You're going to have to cross the parking lot between Surfside and Mana Kai Maui to get to Keawakapu Beach anyway. You'll be IN the unit more due to the baby. Anything at Hale Pau Hana?

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Mauian or Kihei Surfside??

I've stayed at Royal Mauian and toured Kihei Surfside. I think the walk to the beach is actually shorter from Royal Mauian, with Kam I on one side and Kam II on the other. I checked out the beach path at Kihei Surfside and it seemed a bit longer. The rooftop garden/BBQ area at Royal Mauian is a huge "plus" also, as is the fact that all units have washer/dryers.

I've also stayed 3 times at Hale Hui Kai in non-view side units. The easy access to Keawakapu Beach was wonderful. We spent most of our time on the lawn and a few steps back and forth to the beach so didn't mind the lack of view. If they are in your budget, the beachFRONT units at HHK have huge lanais with amazing views. Kihei Rd. is much quieter there than in the area of Royal Mauian..

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Mauian or Kihei Surfside??

Thanks for your tips! We really wanted an ocean view room and Hale Hui Kai but they are sold out. We looked at HPH but not much available their either except for older units. In these complexes, does floor location matter? The Royal Mauian is 208 and Kihei Surfside is 604. I am a bit concerned about street noise at the Royal Mauian.

I do really like the Hale Hui Kai, the unit available there is the nicest. However, with the kiddo I'm wondering if I'll kick myself for not having an ocean view to enjoy while he's sleeping. So many choices!

One last questions, which beach is nicer? Kama'ole I or Keawakapu?

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Mauian or Kihei Surfside??

At Royal Mauian the units ending in "08" have an excellent position within the building. The road noise is most noticeable at the far ends...starting with 01 on one side and ending in 19 on the other. "08" will be in the curve of the building, farthest from the road. It is not above the pool, either, which is a good thing...something not everyone considers when thinking about noise factors. Your views would be better from the higher floor at Kihei Surfside however the lanais are smaller if that matters. Royal Mauian has the benefit of A/C and washer/dryer in unit.. For me these conveniences would tip the scale to Royal Mauian, particularly traveling with a small child.

The beaches are equally wonderful, IMO. I like the fact that Kam I has a lifeguard station and restroom/showers. Keawakapu has neither. Good luck sorting out your own priorities. I looked at both units on line; very nice decor.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Mauian or Kihei Surfside??

I like Keawakapu hands down. This is the beach that my friends who live in Haiku will drive to. There are no services, but at least for me the super close proximity makes up for it. What is the unit number at hale Hui Kai?

I would try to go there and have the baby nap in the lounge area, so I could enjoy the view.

What is the nap / sleep schedule, when are you going?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Mauian or Kihei Surfside??

Thank you again for the tips. Our son usually has a mid-morning nap and mid-afternoon nap with bedtime around 8ish pacific time, not sure what jetlag is going to do to that. The units available and Hale Hui Kai are 104 and 205. Bello Realty states that 104 is completely upgraded, similar to 209.

I am leaning towards Keawakapu, it seems that everything I read says it's never crowded which is a huge plus for me, also the fact that the road isn't right behind it.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal Mauian or Kihei Surfside??

When I go downsatirs, I will check out the locations. They are in the middle of the complex which lacks some privacy. If it were me, I would bring the baby monitor, so you can sit outside on the couches when baby naps in the unit. if ou are in 104, you won't be far at all. We are in 309 right now.

Being that we travelled a lot when our boys were babies - what I would like about this location is the fact you wouldn't need to haul all of the gear anywhere when going to the beach. Change diapers, eat, nap - just go in. Its so close, there's not even the tiniest hassle.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Royal Mauian or Kihei Surfside??

We have stayed in both places. I like them both. We first stayed at the Royal Mauian - myself, my husband, my sister, & my cousin stayed on the 6th floor near the center. Not a great looking room BUT the views were ASTOUNDING from this unit - beautiful views down Kam I & of west maui from the lanai, and gorgeous Haleakala views from outside the front door. Didn't care that decor wasn't the best. Also the master BR on the ocean side of the unit is a plus, I loved listening to the surf each night. No AC in the unit did not matter at all. We went in Dec and kept the glass door to the lanai open along w/the louvered panes above the front door, and in our bedroom, and the breeze kept the unit nice & cool. My parents, aunt & uncle, & grandparents stayed in a 3br unit on the first floor. This was right next to the parking area, and the BR towards the street was somewhat noisy due to street traffic.

A plus of Royal Mauian is proximity to Dolphin Plaza/Rainbow Mall or wahtever it's called - you can easily walk to the stores there.

We stayed at Kihei Surfside by ourselves Feb '09. Got a 1st floor unit. Nice views although higher would be better. While we were there, it seemed like there were lots of owners staying in their condos (makes sense for Feb), as everyone seemed to know eachother. Lots of parties on the lawn. We're not the type who want to get out & mingle at those sorts of things, so we wished we hadn't been on the ground floor, we felt like it was a huge lack of privacy. I also don't like that the bedroom isn't on the ocean side. However the unit was nice, and Keawakapu was very nice (although very rough while we were there). We liked happy hour & breakfast at the 5palms next door. Downside is you can't easily walk to stores like you can from Royal Mauian.

We are going again in March, and staying at the Surfside again. I would pick Mauian over surfside maybe, but price was right for unit 609 (VRBO #239647). I am sure you will enjoy either place!

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Royal Mauian or Kihei Surfside??

It will be nice if Kailuamom can peek inside 104 at Hale Hui Kai while she's there since there are no photos on the HHK website. That side of the complex would be quieter than the odd-numbered units, which are on the side right next to Sarento's restaurant. We were in 207 and could hear cars coming and going in the evening. Nevertheless, it was a sweet unit and we stayed there again the following year.

If Keawakapu Beach was the main draw, I would pick a non-view unit at Hale Hui Kai over the 6th floor unit at Kihei Surfside due to the close and easy stroll to the beach...particularly with lots of kiddy gear. I also like Bello as a rental agency; they have handled my last 3 reservations on Maui

(different properties).