We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help

McKinney, Texas
Level Contributor
62 posts
162 reviews
Save Topic
Help

I am trying to figure out where to stay in Maui in June. Condos are everywhere but I am finding some do not have air conditioning or just window units. Are the only central air units in the expensive resorts? Mixed reviews on the Westin Ocean club. I do not want to travel across the world to look at a courtyard. I want a KNOW I am looking at the ocean. HELP? Also, are large airlines the only way to hop islands? I have 4 people in my group and that is way to expensive.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help

If we get a condo with air flow from front to back, we never use the air even if available.

if its a must... A nice budget condo complex with ocean views available and Central Air is the Royal Kahana, the NW side of the island would be nice in June too.

McKinney, Texas
Level Contributor
62 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help

Unfortunately air conditioning is a must for my husband. I will take a look at that place. Thank you

Socal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help

All the units at Sugar Beach have A/C.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,013 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help

Aston Mahana has fantastic ocean views - all of the units face the ocean, and there's nothing but the beach and a small band of grass between your balcony and the ocean. The units (ranging from studio to 2 bdrm) have a/c. We stayed there in '09 and returning this May.

For availability, check Chase 'n Rainbow, VRBO and Aston's sites. Many of the units are updated, and you can pick your exact unit through Chase 'n Rainbow or VRBO.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60634-d87306-R…

Edited: 23 January 2011, 16:10
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,013 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help

Re your question about inter-island flights: http://www.hawaiianair.com/

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help

Most properties in Hawaii don't have ductwork, so only really new buildings have central AC. Split AC is what most people have and it works fine, It's not the same as a windo unit you would see on the mainland. You just want to discuss what rooms its in. In my house we only have it in the bedrooms.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help

You said you only have 4 people in your party, but our party of 4 plus an infant stayed in a truly lovely, HUGE 3 bedroom WITH A/C at Kahana Village. It is the ONLY unit with full A/C there as I recall. And honey, if you want ocean views, it simply does not get better than Kahana Village. Unit # 6 is all but IN the ocean!! Incredible views of Molokai and Lanai. I would very happily stay there every time we go to Maui. Their website:

www.kahanavillage.com

Oh, the Mahana is a great suggestion too. We almost stayed there.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
53,627 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help

Aloha,

Kailua, several of the older condo resorts in West Maui have central AC.

Examples include Maui Kaanapali Villas, the Maui Eldorado, Kaanapali Ali'i, Outrigger Royal Kahana.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,902 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help

What's the consensus? Is a person who has issues with air *quality* wiser to rent where there is ductwork or where the cooled air comes via a window or through-the-wall unit? It's impossible to know about individual properties A/C cleaning schedules, but you can at least remove and wash the filters in most small units.

I think one can rent a portable A/C unit on island. (Might be cleaner?)

10. Re: Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2012, 05:32