We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

windy Kihei?

Hammond, Indiana
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Topic
windy Kihei?

I've read a couple of comments about Kihei being very windy in the afternoon. Is this so? If it is, does it detract from lanai sitting and pool/beach lounging? Is there another centrally located place on the island that would be less windy and a good base for touring the island? We will be there at the end of Dec. 2011 thru the beginning of January 2012. Any input, thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated. Velda

Socal
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: windy Kihei?

On any given day, any part of the island can be windy. Having said that, North Kihei/Maalea tends to be much windier than other areas as breezes funnel right down the mountains and through the flatlands.

We've stayed, however, three times at Sugar Beach, right in the wind zone. We still managed to enjoy sitting by the pool in the afternoons, which was somewhat sheltered. It can get a bit annoying out on the sand. But there were also lots of days with light winds.

Anyway, afternoons are for snoozing on the lanai!

Mentioned in this post
Sugar Beach
Sugar Beach
16 Reviews
Maui, HI
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,131 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: windy Kihei?

*Windy* would be...Paia, Maalaea, Kapalua! Anywhere along the shore can be windy -- just depends on the weather. We've been coming to South Kihei for Jan. - Feb. for 11 years. Some winters we've had a run of windy days. This year mid-January was wild and crazy rain all over the island for a few days, then mostly Trades. Today and yesterday we've had almost no wind or Kona wind -- meaning not windy enough!

Mentioned in this post
Paia
Paia
Maui, HI
Maalaea
Maalaea
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: windy Kihei?

If it is windy it will be a warm wind not giving you the chill. Much doable

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,169 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: windy Kihei?

I lived in north Kihei for 5 years. I can count on one hand the times I was sand blasted off the beach!!

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: windy Kihei?

That's funny, I've never thought of Paia as windy. We don't stay there, but I've never noticed it..... Maybe Ho'okipa? (I'm sure I spelled that wrong)

BTW - We stay in S. Kihei or Wailea, and it's not a problem. We live in a really windy area and I HATE it, so I would not be spending my valuable vacation time in a too windy spot.

That said, the breeze keeps you cooled off. Because of the afternoon trades, snorkeling is best in the morning, when the water is like glass.

Edited: 04 February 2011, 00:21
Mentioned in this post
Paia
Paia
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,131 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: windy Kihei?

Kailuamom -- You are correct. (I just didn't want to try spelling Ho'okipa.) LOL

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: windy Kihei?

Yes, Maalaea and N Kihei are usually windier than S Kihei and Wailea, but as far as "lanai sitting and pool lounging", all of the resorts I'm familiar with have their backs to the wind, so to speak. Also, many of them took the wind into account during the design stage and placed their pools out of the wind.

Check out wizardpub.com to view aerial views of all the resorts on island.

Mentioned in this post
Maalaea
Maalaea
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: windy Kihei?

Kihei is hotter than most of Maui if there is no wind, so the wind is a blessing. Especially if your condo has no AC, which many don't.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,220 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: windy Kihei?

I've been in Kihei when the wind was so strong it blew chairs into the pool. Have also been there in periods of no wind and high humidity with sweat dripping into my mai tai. Much prefer the wind. Luckily, these are extremes. As others have suggested, plan your excursions for mid-day when wind is usually the strongest. Enjoy the beach and ocean in the calmer morning hours.

Hammond, Indiana
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: windy Kihei?

Thanks to everyone for the input. Sounds like we should count on some wind but that the further South in the area we head, the better as far as lack of wind. I've seen condos advertised as being located in South Kihei so I'll keep that in mind when booking. We are from the Chicago area and have just come thru a blizzard. It would be nice not to travel all the way to Hawaii for more wind - warm or otherwise. Thank you, Velda

Get answers to your questions about Kihei
Recent Conversations