We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Foodland or Safeway

Las Vegas, Nevada
1 post
Save Topic
Foodland or Safeway

I'll be staying with a small group at the WorldMark Resort in Kihei and within driving distance to either Foodland or Safeway. I've read from these reviews that Safeway is soooooo expensive. How about Foodland? Do they have everything that Safeway or Costco carries.....ie Pharmacy, Meats, Liquor, etc.....and how do their prices compare to Safeways.....

Grass Valley...
Level Contributor
134 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Foodland or Safeway

We usually use, Safeway, Longs, and Star Market. We have a Safeway card so we get the member discounts.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,733 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Foodland or Safeway

First Rule of grocery shopping in the islands - Pick-up free Store club card.

Second rule -- Use it.

Ergo - Whatever is on sale is what's for dinner and what you're gonna be drinkin'.

Seriously.

Many/most non-sale items will seem moderately to exhorbitantly overpriced to a visitor (20 to 100+ percent higher), but for the many on-sale items the costs are not terribly different from some mainland urban areas (maybe 5 to 10 percent higher).

In Honolulu, I find Safeway produce, booze and packaged goods more competitive then Foodland but not that much different overall.

As an added bonus, making your choices based on what's being discounted that week provides for great variety over time, widening your tastes and culinary skills (particularly the Asian products), and exposing you to new brands.

And, then there is Costco.

Edited: 27 July 2011, 06:24
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,629 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Foodland or Safeway

Yes, get the VIP card from the store. Safeway & Foodland have them.

I have not noticed much of a price difference between the two stores. At least not enough to make much difference.

And I agree with amberloo. I eat & drink whatever is on sale.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,815 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Foodland or Safeway

Star Market is gone, it's now a Times'. I do the same thing amberloo and dusty do!!

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Foodland or Safeway

Last year we checked the weekly sales each week and saved an average of 40-50$ a week. And ate dayum good including king crab legs several times.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,575 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Foodland or Safeway

Safeway is much larger than Foodland. I shop both (after checking the store flyers online). Long's Drugs is competitive for spirits and wines.

You may already have a Safeway customer card -- same as Von's in CA and Dominick's in my Chicagoland area. If you don't, get one at customer service, and at Foodland, BEFORE you shop.

Both are 24/7 stores.

I find pricing about 20% higher than my costs at home.

Try the Roselani ice cream!

7. Re: Foodland or Safeway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 03:15