We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui Kamaole vs. Ekahi Village

Which Kihei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saskatoon...
Level Contributor
752 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Maui Kamaole vs. Ekahi Village

We decided to widen our search to include South Maui for our next visit. I have been looking at a rental website that has some good deals (I think it was ChiSue that posted that link for someone earlier - thanks!)

I found a nice condo at Ekahi Village #36b, and one at Maui Kamaole M105. Both of these condo's are at the back of the property (opposite the beach). We love that Ekahi Village Condo has its own BBQ. But I really like that the Maui Kamaole Condo has a Master bedroom, plus den (for my kids).

So, a couple questions for those of you familiar with the area...

1. Which condo location would be a quicker walk to the beach?

2. Is the Maui Kamaole unit M105 close to the BBQ area?

Thanks!

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui Kamaole vs. Ekahi Village

I think you'll have a longer walk from the Ekahi 36B unit than from the MK M105 unit to the beach. The slope of the hill might be a little gentler at the Ekahi. You would certainly get a cardio workout coming back to the MK condo. I can't remember where the BBQ is for the M buildings but they are usually in the corner of the parking lot and can become a nice little gathering area with a beach chair and a drink. There are BBQs at each pool which would offer some nice shade at that upper pool. Goodness so many choices, even with two condo units.

Saskatoon...
Level Contributor
752 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui Kamaole vs. Ekahi Village

Thanks Julauf! We have stayed in West Maui only and have spent very little time South so I'm having a hard time nailing down where we would like to go next time. Are both of the mentioned condo's family (kid) friendly? (We have boys, ages 7 and 10.) Thanks.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui Kamaole vs. Ekahi Village

I believe they are both pretty kid friendly. I don't think you could make a mistake picking either one. I like the MK unit you picked because it's close to the swimming pool. We were die hard West Maui fans until we were coaxed down to South Maui after a recommend to spend a morning at Maluaka Beach. When we drove by the MK, we knew that's where we wanted to stay just because of the grounds. We've stayed there twice. Last went 2 years ago when my kiddos were 9 and almost 7... makes me tear up a little because it will be a whole 'nuther year before we go again.

Okay so back to objective facts. Ekahi Village is a big complex but it feels really hidden away, unless you are up against the street and then it's likely noisy. Have never stayed there but it looks pretty decent.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui Kamaole vs. Ekahi Village

We loved MK and we loved Kam III beach. The condos there are great and you are right by the best pool. My vote in MK

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui Kamaole vs. Ekahi Village

We'd been visiting the islands for years before any condo complex appealed enough for us to buy something. We've owned a 1 BR 2 bath at Maui Kamaole for ten years. We chose this because it's a *newer* low-rise, low-density complex with near ocean views. The smallest unit has 1000 sq ft of living area and all have two baths. It's the only 3-star across from the Kamaole beaches.

I prefer the "One BR Plus Den" over the true 2 BR's. They are ground floor, and they're near the upper (waterfall) pool. The 2 BR's are up a flight over the 1 BR's and are 'townhouse style', on two levels; they do afford lovely ocean views!

If you were looking at one of the Ekahi units right ON the beach, that might sway me a bit. But Ekahi is old, with small units.There are so many lovely beaches nearby that most people will drive five minutes to try more than just the beach 'out front'. Remember...MK has so many units with ocean views because it is built up a rise. Take heed of Julauf's comment about the return from the beach being a cardio workout! (We drive and park -- plenty of free parking at both Kam III and Keawakapu.)

The only complaints I've heard about the "M" units is that the tennis courts are nearby. People play early and late to avoid the heat of the day. Friends stayed in a "K" unit and were happy with it.

Saskatoon...
Level Contributor
752 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui Kamaole vs. Ekahi Village

Thanks for the input - sounds like MK would be the best fit for our gang.

7. Re: Maui Kamaole vs. Ekahi Village

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 03:16