We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Wailea

Which Kihei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Bend, IN
7 posts
Save Topic
Driving to Wailea

Hi all,

My fiancee and I finally decided for our August 6-13 honeymoon to stay further north, in Laihaina.

But we do want to see the beaches in Wailea. Do you think it's better to make a day trip out of it and drive down, or is it better to change hotels for a couple of days? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks for all the information on this site--it makes decisions harder, because you don't only go by what the books say!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Wailea

I say make a day trip or 2 and don't bother switching hotels. You should check out the beautiful hotels and pick out the one you want to go to for your Anniversary next year.

Twin Cities...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Wailea

Hi. I have heard maui is actually not a large Island and I think Wailea is less than an hour away from Lahaina. So don't change hotels. Keep it and explore away. Have Fun! Kristen

orange county
Level Contributor
699 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Wailea

it'll take you 45 minutes to get there. An easy day trip. there isnt a whole lot to do in wailea that you cant do on the west side so no real need to stay there.

South Bend, IN
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Wailea

Thanks everyone--little did I know that my fiancee had her heart set on it so much that she booked us for the whole week at the Kihei Surfside condos . . .

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Wailea

Going down shouldn't be too bad. Just watch out on the return. It took us over 2 hours today getting back from Wailea to Kaanapali! We left a little before 4, but still hit the rush hour mess (also, Friday is extra bad). I would suggest returning by 3 or waiting until late evening.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
130 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to Wailea

Day trips will be fine. We drove from Kihei to Lahaina to see Warren and Annabelles show. Left at 4pm and got there 5:30 due to traffic so time when you go. The same thing happened when we went to Old Lahaina luau. WE just got back and miss the island already. These two evenings were very special and glad we booked them 2 months in advance. I did a trip report under the maui section of trip advisor. You will have a great time no matter what you do.

hawaii
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving to Wailea

To drive from Wailea to Laihaina on a busy day takes about 20 minutes, maybe 30 if you stop to watch the surfers or whales. The resorts in Kaanapali are wonderful, you can get beach access parking along side all the hotels you just have to get their early. whalers village has easy access to food and rentals. The only long drive would be to Hana which is an all day adventure, if you stop to see and play in the waterfalls.

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving to Wailea

make a day trip, it's not a long drive and then you won't have to shange your accomodations. We did it many times because of weather before we started staying on the South side of the island.