We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kihei tiger shark

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Kihei tiger shark

Yearly this afternoon we were inquiring about surfboard rentals across the street from Kalama Beach Park . The staff person there informed us that folks at Cove Park and Kalama Beach Park were being told to leave the water because of a near by Tiger Shark sighting. Does the County have phone number or website we could check to see when its OK to back in the water there?

1. Re: Kihei tiger shark

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 November 2011, 10:13
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,229 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kihei tiger shark

Is Bruce back in Kihei again? Naughty boy. It's a safe assumption that there is always a tiger shark in the water with you, which is why you don't surf or snorkel at dawn when the light is poor and you don't dress like a monk seal.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,441 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kihei tiger shark

The county may have a phone number but I don't know about it. If a shark was sighted around Kalama Park the lifeguards will have the most updated information. Just ask them. If you see red or orange flags on the beach, again ask the lifeguards why they are posted. They generally mean conditions aren't good to get into the water.

Here is a link to the county web-site in case you want to search for more info.

www.mauicounty.gov/

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kihei tiger shark

I have to try and find the video, it was off a persons maui blog site that I was going through but it had two guys going out in a kayak to do some spear fishing off the Maui coast. They brought along a underwater video recorder and attached a pole to it and were filming under water while going to there fishing hole. When they stopped and were bout to jump in they filmed a bit before and captured a 15 ft white shark about 10 ft away. It showed the shark coming at the boat and it turning away. It was gone in about 3 seconds. They didnt see the shark until they watched the video back home.

@
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kihei tiger shark

Does Kalama Beach Park have a lifeguard?

This site says no - (but I know internet sites can be wrong):

www.aloha-hawaii.com/maui/kalama-beach-park/

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,504 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kihei tiger shark

No life guard that I know of but there is one at Kam 1 which is very close to Kalama.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kihei tiger shark

Here is the video, it might not be Maui not sure now. But very interesting to say the least.

http://video.mpora.com/watch/NuVFWTCh8/hd/

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,229 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kihei tiger shark

watching the video I'm pretty sure that was a tiger shark, not a great white. Can someone explain to me to sport involved in spearing a pretty reef fish that's too small to eat? It's sort of like shooting a cow. no challenge and just as pointless.

southeast PA
Level Contributor
230 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kihei tiger shark

that video is definitely a white, not a tiger. they really look nothing alike.

I don't know of anyone that is shooting/spearing fish for no reason and I'd certainly be against spearing for sport. i would expect it to either be for food or to rid an area of an invasive species.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kihei tiger shark

looked at the video. not sure what kind but it's a shark!!!! I viewed two of his videos, the first one with the shark in the video which was called Team sparten go spearfishing, not sure of the lsland. and video two specifically said Maui highlights which had part of the kayaking with the shark sighting. hmmm. Interesting though.