We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kamaole Sands vs Menehune Shores

Which Kihei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
california
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Kamaole Sands vs Menehune Shores

Anyone have an opinion about Kamaole Sands vs Menehune Shores? We have narrowed our search down to an ocean front Penthouse, top floor VRBO unit at Menehune Shores and a 2nd floor VRBO ocean/garden view 2nd floor unit at Kamaole Sands. Wondering if anyone has stayed in either of these two complexes and what might be the pluses and minus points of each.

Thanks!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,466 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kamaole Sands vs Menehune Shores

Menehune Shores is in North Kihei. You'd drive to Sugar Beach, or the Kamaole Beach Parks in South Kihei for good beaches. I'm leary of top floors and west-facing lanai in the tropics; they start heating up before noon.

Kam Sands is in South Kihei, across 2-lane, 20 MPH Kihei Road from the Kamaole beaches: Swimming, snorkeling, lifeguards, rest rooms, showers, picnic benches, grassy areas, some play equipment, and *shade*. It's near shops and restaurants.

Edited: 28 April 2012, 15:52
chicago area
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kamaole Sands vs Menehune Shores

We stayed at Kam Sands, VRBO rental in 2011 and are going back in Feb. of 2013. The grounds were beautiful, pool area nice and was right across the street from a very nice beach. Short walk to dining and shops. Most negative reviews seem to stem from those who rent from the management company and not with VRBO.

california
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kamaole Sands vs Menehune Shores

Can you tell me which VRBO unit you stayed in at the Kam Sands. Was it a second floor unit with a view of the beach. Was it noisey? Thanks so much for your help.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,466 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kamaole Sands vs Menehune Shores

I'd prefer South Kihei to North. If you want to be near the Kamaole Beach Parks, look at the aerials and reviews here, starting with Maui Vista, then work your way south: www.wizardpub.com

chicago area
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kamaole Sands vs Menehune Shores

The VRBO number is 154377, it is a third floor 1 bed, 2 bath condo. The lanai has a partial ocean view and we did not find noise to be an issue. The owner is easy to deal with. In the interest of full disclosure, I am not the owner nor do I know him.

california
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kamaole Sands vs Menehune Shores

Thank you so much! I will take a look and see if the unit if available!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kamaole Sands vs Menehune Shores

We have stayed at both. Definitely prefer Kamaole Sands! It is a nice complex, across from a great beach, and restaurants within walking distance.

Menehune shores is on the beach, but the beach was rocky, and the water is not good for swimming. Everyday, we drove somewhere else. And there is not much within walking distance for coffee or a bite to eat. The ocean view is good though. And it is a short drive to other places.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,348 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kamaole Sands vs Menehune Shores

I fear you just have been given some misinformation. Menehune Shores, while I've never stayed there is next to an ancient fish pond. Which is in the process of reclamation and has an occasional turtle and fish. Just a few feet north of that is a wonderful beach, no people, great swimming and a wonderful reef for snorkeling about 50 yds off shore. Though it's not fancy and there are no facilities, I spent 5 years off this beach. It's great because you don't have to fight the crowds at the beaches in central Kihei.

Edited: 28 April 2012, 20:55
california
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kamaole Sands vs Menehune Shores

Thank you! This is helpful. What is the name of the beach that is north of this complex. We usually go to beaches toward the south but I love hearing about other beaches. You said you have not stayed in this complex but you like the area, do I have that right.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,348 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kamaole Sands vs Menehune Shores

Yes, I used to live a couple of blocks north of the Menehune Shores. Anything north of the fish pond is wonderful it's part of Sugar Beach. The reef starts basically across the street from the Kihei Holiday and runs all the way down to approximately the Kihei Canoe Club.