We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time To Maui - Recommendations on areas? w/ kids

seattle
Level Contributor
201 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First Time To Maui - Recommendations on areas? w/ kids

We're a group of six adults and three kids under three traveling to Maui (for our first time) during Thanksgiving week. We haven't booked a rental yet so I'm interested to know if any one has recommendations on areas of the island. Which part should we focus on for our homebase? We'd like to be as close to family friendly beaches as possible. Any other activities and sights we should put on our list? We've done Kauai several times before but this will be our first time exploring Maui - we're excited!

Sask
Level Contributor
700 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time To Maui - Recommendations on areas? w/ kids

Including your nightly accommodations budget would be helpful. You posted in the Kihei forum, so you want to stay on the south side?

My family stayed at the Hale Kamaole in Kihei and they really liked it. It is a condo complex which is located near Kam III Beach.

seattle
Level Contributor
201 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time To Maui - Recommendations on areas? w/ kids

I posted in Kihei on accident and reposted here... we don't have a set budget yet, depends on if we're eating at restaurants or staying in a rental property where we can cook and save some money. The cheaper the better but we'll spend money to get a decent place, close to a beach, hot tub, wifi, outdoor grill, etc. to be comfortable. Sorry I can't give a number but if we find one place we can all stay in at one rate then it would be higher than where we'd need two rentals at two bookings (rates).

I was hoping to find out which part of the island is best for our group (with small kids) and then search within that area for where we should stay. I really know nothing about Maui and have just started my research.

Sask
Level Contributor
700 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time To Maui - Recommendations on areas? w/ kids

With nine people, you are going to have to rent either a house or at least two condo units. I remember reading here about the scarcity of places with hot tubs, so you might want to take that into account while you research. Bear in mind that some places have a limit of how many people per unit and any additional guests will be extra $ per night.

It is a good idea to rent a place with kitchen facilities. Maui is more expensive than Oahu, and you will save money by eating in. From my own research, Kihei seems to be more affordable than west side Maui. Depending on how long you stay, the cleaning fees are often waived. Remember to factor in the accommodation taxes of 13.42% in the total.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time To Maui - Recommendations on areas? w/ kids

nine is a bunch, car seats. I would look to Kihei this time of year. house is a good idea, comfortable. theres the Maui Hill also but they like to max 8 people on the 3 bedrooms but they give 3 good size beds and a sofa couch. you could also do next door to each other here if available they run 1 2 and 3 bedrroms.

the Marriott Maui Ocean Club (timeshare) will let up to 12 in a 3 bedroom unit on the other side of the island. Thanksgiving may not be forgiving but you can try and look into these.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,555 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time To Maui - Recommendations on areas? w/ kids

Where do you stay when you are on Kauai?

Most of the three bedroom condos have a limit of 8 people. I don't know if those are hard limits or not, but you might have (and might want) 2 condos. I like West Maui better than South in general. I'd probably look at Kahana, Honokawai and Ka'anapali as the best areas to look for condos in the West. Use the link below to check out properties.

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/maui/mau…

Thanksgiving is also a very popular time so you might find prices spiked a bit and the sooner you can reserve, the better because they will start to fill up pretty fast.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,058 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time To Maui - Recommendations on areas? w/ kids

Well, I just responded to the other one! Must put on the coffee...

7. Re: First Time To Maui - Recommendations on areas? w/ kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 July 2012, 18:19
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,502 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time To Maui - Recommendations on areas? w/ kids

mauioceanview, it's always a good idea to tell people you own at Maui Kamaole when posting about this complex. Same goes for the other two also!!

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
452 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time To Maui - Recommendations on areas? w/ kids

msfuzz, yes I am an owner at Maui Kamaole, along with 300 other owners. I apologize, in retrospect it was pretty sales-y sounding, and I have asked Tripadvisor to remove my post. I am sorry and will refrain from that in the future.

Let me re-iterate the rest of the post, though.

I would be careful with house rentals, new vacation rental law in effect on Maui, make sure whoever you rent from has their Hawaii tax ID posted on their online listing (this is now mandatory as the government claims it will crack down on illegal rentals and rentals not paying their taxes). This is bill HB2078 (Hawaiian State).

as for trip ideas - our young kids love love love going to La Perousse Bay (very south, past Makena), climbing around in old lava fields, finding curious rocks etc. otherwise, the beach and pools. our experience has been - try to establish a routine as quickly as possible, and the kids will be much happier. Have fun planning!!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,502 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time To Maui - Recommendations on areas? w/ kids

No problem, mauioceanview, you'll find the guidelines that owners need to abide by in the Help Center here on TA. There is a tiny link at the bottom of every TA page. You can also remove your own posts by clicking on the "report inappropriate content" link then on "remove my post" in the drop down menu. It should disappear after refreshing the page.