We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Bob/Wife and Grandson on things to do

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
Help Bob/Wife and Grandson on things to do

First all I want to thank all of you that have helped me with finding a condo and all the help you have given me..This is Bob with the 9 yr old Grandson. But we did change the date from Nov 10 which was on a Sat. till the next sat 16. But since we found out about the swap meet on Sat. We both are taking off work and going over on Friday the 9th of Nov till The next Friday 16th so we can go to the swap meet Sat. Grandson wants to go and buy stuff there for his mom and friends. And we want to make him happy( spoiled little guy. But it is our fault we spoiled him. )I wouldn't have it any other way. Anyhow if any of you can help us in things first that we can take him to do and see so he can have fun. I can use the help. Thanks ahead of time forgot we did get cat also

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Bob/Wife and Grandson on things to do

So you are set with everything except the fun stuff? Wow....so happy for you guys! Let the fun begin......

I assume you are staying in Kihei.....correct me if wrong. Maui Ocean Center in Maalea would be fun for everyone. They have miniature golf in the same area. Best to do the golf in the morning cause the wind can kick up later in day. Boogie boarding at the beaches and building sand castles is fun. We like to check out thrift stores after the beach. I have found awesome treasures in those stores.

Love that you are going to the swap meet! It is one of my favorite things to do! Walking Sugar Beach ( the long stretch of beach you will see just past Maalea) is fun because the sand is easy to walk on cause it's firm. Beautiful walk and stuff to interest the GS. Plenty of fun playing on the beaches! I could write a book but I will save room for others. :-) Deb

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Bob/Wife and Grandson on things to do

Thanks Deb. We are staying in Kihe. I will put this down in my notes for what to do so we can do as much as possible. Do you think we should try and make the hana drive

LA
Level Contributor
11,016 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Bob/Wife and Grandson on things to do

Maui Ocean Center for the Aquarium: http://www.mauioceancenter.com/

Mini-golf at Maui Ocean Center

Ice cream at one of the stores in Lahania

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,117 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Bob/Wife and Grandson on things to do

The Hana drive is amazing, but maybe not for a nine year old. Other kids love it, and you know your grandson best. Does he get car sick? Will he be sitting in the back the whole way? You could certainly start the drive, and if it doesn't work out, just turn around and head back to Kahului! Ginger pills before the drive might be the way to go. There are other drugs for car sickness, but again, you know him best. And actually, I find the drive PAST Hana the best part. It's another half hour to Oheo Gulch, and that, I can guarantee you, would be great for your grandston. He would really enjoy the pools and swimming in them. Of course, you have no way to know if they are swimmable until you get there. They do have to close them to swimming occasionally. And then it is a loooong way back too. It will be a 12 hour day easily if you go all the way to Oheo Gulch. Pack a picnic lunch!

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Bob/Wife and Grandson on things to do

Hey Bob.....Joan said it exactly the way I would. Go as far as you want and check out stuff along the way! My 22 year old son wanted nothing to do with that drive but our 24 year old daughter loves it.

Highlights at beginning would be seeing bamboo trees along the side of the road, the Garden of Eden is cool as long as they don't charge you $15 per person! I said that was too much and she only charged me $15.....my husband thought that was too much until we drove the two mile path. Waterfall opportunity for photos, rainbow eucalyptus trees in the driveway just past the pay booth and lots of pull overs to take photos, lawn to run on that has awesome views and this is at mile 8 or 9. Very easy drive..... Even if you only make ut to the pull off into the town of Ke'ane, you will be able to buy awesome banana bread and take terrific photos of the Hana coastline. Heck, you guys could shock yourselves and make it to the end just fine. You live in a big state,just like me,with lots of driving. The road to Hana is certainly a different kind of drive!

Watching the windsurfers and surfers at Ho'okioa is so much fun! Eating a breakfast at Charley's Restaurant in Pa'ia would be cool before you start the drive. Big portions and affordable prices. November is a great time to visit Maui! Deb

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Bob/Wife and Grandson on things to do

Is it tough to drive back down at dark

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Bob/Wife and Grandson on things to do

The latest we have driven back is three in the afternoon cause we have only gone to the end once. We usually go as far as the black sand beach, picnic and turn around to drive back. I hope to hike the Pipiwai Trail this fall and see Lindbergh's Grave. I would not like to drive the road in the dark. Deb

LA
Level Contributor
11,016 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Bob/Wife and Grandson on things to do

Make sure and hold onto the kid if you are stopping to admire the views.

A recent tragedy occured on the road to Hana where a kid went over a cliff when he ran out of the car and didn't stop. Fatal event. Just a horrible thing to have happen to your child.

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Bob/Wife and Grandson on things to do

I will heed your advice that is for sure. He is a pretty good 9.5 year old as he says he says he is closer to 10 than 9 LOL he is a tall 9 almost 5 ft and built like a half back i always say he is my little Emmitt Smith From Dallas :::)))

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,105 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help Bob/Wife and Grandson on things to do

I just had my 12 year old granddaughter here on island so I know first hand about spoiling those kids!! That is our job!!

You can snorkel, swim, surf, paddle board, boogie board, kayak, swim, para sail, and explore the island to your hearts content.

If you grandson does well in a car do take him to Hana. You will be in the midst of a rainforest, exploring waterfalls, short or long hikes, swim in the pools of Oheo Gulch and visit Lindbergh's grave. It is a long day and is best to get back to Kahului before sundown. Leave as early in the morning as possible. We like to leave no later than 6:00am from Kihei. Get a cooler and pack water and food.

For more info on Hana, go to the Hana forum and look at the right and left hand side of the pages. There is a link for "Things to do" and Top Questions.

You can also find this on the Maui forum pages.

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Get answers to your questions about Kihei
Recent Conversations