We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which one to choose...help!

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Which one to choose...help!

Will be staying for 2 weeks in Feb. We're considering either Kalama Terrace - a unit with very good reviews and good price or a unit at Leinaala with a direct ocean view, also with a good price. Which The Kalama unmit comes with lots of toys - bikes, cooler, etc. Which choice would be your recommendation, and why? We like to walk but will also have a rental car...if you can offer information or advice, that would be great!

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which one to choose...help!

Two very different properties, which leads to a few questions as a lot depends on what you want. Ages and interests, number in party? It does come into play.

Kalama Terrace is better placed for walking to things, but is in a more residential area. The possibility for noise is stronger here, that's individual preferences. I'm not familiar with the property, just location. Leeinaala does have nice views, is tucked away from the street, is on a pretty beach, but not convenient for walking to much. Nice beach, but still easy to get to more. It may provide more of that "I am on Maui" feeling with the view than KT - but if you want to get in and get the vibe of Kihei under your belt then it may work for you.

If you have Google Earth on your computer, take a look at each location.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which one to choose...help!

Thank-you for your comments LesRose - yes the 2 of us definitely want to have the feeling "I am on Maui!" so have chosen the Leinaala property. Will have a rental car, so can drive to other beaches and walk where we can. Can't wait!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,061 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which one to choose...help!

I'm not crazy about either of these. Kalama Terrace is residential, with all the comings and goings that go along with that. Friends stayed Leinaala decades ago;it was old then. It's set 'way back from the water with scrub-land between. I think I'd rather stay Maalaea than either of these.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,483 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which one to choose...help!

We looked at places to rent at the Leinaala. The place was dated but very nice. Do you have your choice of units? I didn't find the expansive lawn between the unit's and the ocean to be scrub-land, but a gorgeous view and nice place to hang out!!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which one to choose...help!

I agree with msfuzz. The area between the Leinaala and the ocean is Waipuilani Park County Park, which has been very well maintained each time we've visited.

to-hawaii.com/maui/beaches/waipuilanipark.php

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,061 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which one to choose...help!

I stand corrected. As the movie title said, "Things Change". It WAS scrub when our friends were in a small, damp, ground floor unit there.(All that was available that winter, and they weren't staying long.) The area between the building and the ocean looks much improved from my viewing of the www.wizarpub.com aerial. (Their stay was also our first knowlege of the gnat problem from the ponds and the seaweed-y beach, so you know it was a while ago.)

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which one to choose...help!

Well, the seaweed can still be an issue for some, but the county runs a backhoe up the beach each morning a new deposit occurs to scrape it off.

I've never had an issue with gnats or any flying insects in three stays in the area. This is not to say they can't be a problem during certian times of the year, but I can assure you, being the insect target that I am, if there was only one within an acre, it would hunt me down with a vengance and bit me!

Edited: 31 July 2012, 20:33
Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
422 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which one to choose...help!

I have friends who love the Leinaala and won't stay anywhere else. They always rent one of the two bedroom end units, the one they get is nicely renovated (I've been in it). All the condos have a great direct oceanview, nice lawn area in front, small pool. You can walk to the Longs Drugs shopping plaza (sorry, drawing a blank on the official name), Azeka Shopping Center is there also. The pool is small and the parking lot is tight, but otherwise...

Vancouver
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which one to choose...help!

Dito for me and Leinaala. That is the first place we stayed in on our first visit to Maui. That time of the year you will also have a wonderful sunset view direct on into the ocean. Magnificent comes to mind. You won't be sorry.

10. Re: Which one to choose...help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 21:16