We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carseats

Which Kihei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wawota
4 posts
Save Topic
Carseats

We are flying into Maui in January and we have 2 young children with us. At the time of travel we will have a 6 year old and a 1 1/2 year old. We will need to rent or purchase carseats. What is our best bet and if we rent, where is the best place to rent from? Thank you for all the help!

Canadian Rockies...
Level Contributor
633 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carseats

We also have one child who needs a carseat, and another who needs a booster. We're bringing the carseat with us - I'm just not comfortable renting from anyone, without being 100% sure that the carseat hasn't been in an accident. I also find with rentals that it can be SO hard to figure out how to install properly, and you're never totally sure if it's safe. Finally, you'll need some type fo restraint for your 1.5 year on the plane.

For the booster - I would hit Costco or Walmart, which are right near the airport. One of you will need to stay at the airport with your 6 year old while you go to get the seat though...

Canada
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carseats

Just bring them with you. You can gate check the booster, and you will need the car seat on the plane

bc
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Carseats

Yes, just bring yours with you. Last spring, we travelled to Maui with our 4 children, aged 2 - 8, and brought along 2 carseats and 2 booster seats. We used one carseat on the plane for our youngest, and gate-checked the others.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carseats

We always brought car seats with us. Hoping you have a seat on the plane for your youngest child. Not only is it safer, it is far more comfortable for all involved especially if you use the carseat. Check the booster seat with the baggage or at the gate.

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carseats

Akamai Mothers is a great place to rent from. Have used them the last 2 years in a row for 2 carseats. They will leave it with your car rental company. Both times the carseats have been clean and in good condition. Plan on using them again for our coming trip in March.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
395 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carseats

a booster will cost you less than $20 at Walmart. We always travel with them, kids have up to three free items they can check in, that's great.

we took the car seat on the plane last trip - oh boy was that a mistake. It placed Mr Busyboy 3 inches closer to the seat in front of him, an even better angle to kick the seat with. sigh. very grumpy woman in front of us - I only later discovered that there was an empty seat next to her. Another story.

carseats are not mandatory on any flights we've ever been on (Hawaiian, Air Canada, Westjet). They can be an awesome thing, or a horrible thing (as per our last experience).

Canadian Rockies...
Level Contributor
633 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carseats

We're going to use the CARES system on our next trip - it's basically a harness that it approved the majority of airlines - kids can still use the tray table & aren't closer to the seat in front of them, but they are safe. It BLOWS me away that carseats aren't mandatory on flights - if there is any major turbulence, or god forbid a crash, children are in serious danger (especially babies on laps!!). I wouldn't even consider putting my kids in a car without a proper restraint system, I certainly wouldn't do it on an airplane.

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carseats

We are going in March and I asked around since I have one child who needs an infant seat and another that needs a booster. It costs at least $16 per seat per day to rent one and you don't even know what you are going to get. I checked w/ my airline (Alaska) and they don't charge bagage fees for infant gear. I believe they will provide a clear plastic bag for you to put the carseat in.

portland,or
Level Contributor
230 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carseats

For our six year old we travel with an inflatable booster called a Bubble Bum. Readily available online. Costs about $40. Gets high safety ratings and is easy to use. Best of all you can deflate it and shove it in your bag when not being used. The few times we've rented a car seat from rental car companies have been a mixed bag. Some were ok (but never great, almost always kinda dirty) and some were bad. When our son was really little we just brought our own car seat and checked it b/c I was more nervous to trust rental car seats with a baby/toddler.

10. Re: Carseats

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2013, 06:16