We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keep Checking your United Airlines reservations!!!

Which Kihei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
815 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Keep Checking your United Airlines reservations!!!

I've written about this before; here's the latest. Today I checked (after checking yesterday) and our interisland flight between Kauai and Maui 12/17 this year has now been changed from Island Air to Hawaiian Airlines, larger jet aircraft, different airline, different flight number of course and different time.

Had I not checked this, I could have ended up at the wrong airline terminal and wasted a lot of time.

Please, check your reservations at least weekly, and more closer to your flight date.

Indiana
Level Contributor
836 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Keep Checking your United Airlines reservations!!!

My flight was actually cancelled and I never received an email. I found out while checking in the night before. They were even sending me emails about complimentary upgrades to first class and didn't even notify me the first leg of my flight had been cancelled. Luckily I was able to schedule out of another airport. I think the service has really gone down since the merger with Continental.

Texas
Level Contributor
815 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Keep Checking your United Airlines reservations!!!

Yes, UA service has definitely gone down. A long-time United captain told me they are trying to squeeze in a much-larger United reservations system into the much-smaller Continental reservations system--it's not working too well. United has lost countless Premier members who just won't put up with this long, drawn-out acquisition process and the fact that UA just doesn't seem to care about its employees or its passengers.

And no e-mails for sure, ever, come advising of any schedule change.

I did call Hawaiian Air right away and reserve seats.

Edited: 27 November 2012, 18:34
Texas
Level Contributor
815 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Keep Checking your United Airlines reservations!!!

UPDATE: I just got a phone call, yes a phone call, from ISLAND AIR letting me know of the change to Hawaiian Air on 12/17--I couldn't believe my ears. They said they had my phone number on file, which means United of course has it on file, along with my e-mail address. I've been a United frequent flier for almost 30 years.

I wanted to compliment Island Air for the great service.

Of course, no call or e-mail from United, through whom I booked this reservation to begin with using frequent flier miles.

London, United...
Level Contributor
167 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Keep Checking your United Airlines reservations!!!

Hi

Same thing happened to me yesterday. Booked trip through travel agent 6mths ago, now a few days before travelling: LHR-LAX-HNL, HNL-OGG, OGG-SFO and SFO-LHR at 17.05 non-stop. The TA added a meal request to the reservation last week. I assumed as the reservation was through a TA that they would let me know if there were any changes. I randomly decided yesterday just to check and got a nasty surprise that the SFO-LHR had been moved to 08.38 with a 3h connection in DC! Leaving us with much reduced time in SF and a very early night, not taking into consideration that I hadn't been told! If I had not checked until online check-in, I wouldn't have realised at all! Switch to anxious call to TA and several options being offered.

The upshot being we are now staying in SF for another two days and getting the nonstop flight and United are paying for the additional 2 nights accommodation, which am obviously happy with but very stressful at the time. At the time I was so busy stressing over the return flight change that I didn't pay much attention to the others but rechecking today 4 of the 5 flights booked through United have been changed, albeit by <30m or so, so not affecting our plans.

Will be checking daily!

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,251 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Keep Checking your United Airlines reservations!!!

It pays to check no matter which airline you use.

We are flying SFO to OGG next june on Hawaiian and they changed the time of our flight from HNL to OGG. I always look at my itinerary periodically and saw the change. Hawaiian did call me to let me know a few weeks after the change I already knew but hey they did call i am impressed.

My husband flew for work on United fro the first time in october he said it was horrible delay after delay needless to say United would be our last choice. I have flown with Continental a couple times flights were ok but the Houston airport is horrible.

We mostly fly Delta and I don't have any complaints all our flights have been good no delays and we love connecting thru ATL very easy to Navigate.

Texas
Level Contributor
815 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Keep Checking your United Airlines reservations!!!

Please keep checking your reservations--someone on Kauai board just checked her res. for 12/27 yesterday and sure enough, only 30 mins. between flights after UA changed her res. with no notification.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,142 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Keep Checking your United Airlines reservations!!!

Just checked our January res. No changes so far.

:-) Can't wait!

Edited: 08 December 2012, 15:03
Ontario
Level Contributor
801 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Keep Checking your United Airlines reservations!!!

thanks for these postings: I checked and every single one of 6 flights was changed!! For our first flight, we were supposed to be in first class and now were in economy. When I called, I was told they would keep us in mind to be put back in first. Well, I later found out that the plane that is now on that route only has economy! -- so just a lie. So tell me, what is horrible about Houston airport, cause we will be there coming and going!!

Texas
Level Contributor
815 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Keep Checking your United Airlines reservations!!!

I don't think there is anything horrible about Houston airport, except size. Be aware of your gate for next flight and head on to it; can be a hike. If you take the cart that may meet your plane and offers rides from one gate to another, be aware of your next flight gate number before embarking, then watch the signs to be sure the driver lets you off quickly rather than dropping others off first, if you have a tight connection; or of course, let driver know if you have a tight connection.

Texas
Level Contributor
815 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Keep Checking your United Airlines reservations!!!

Just flew with some folks today interisland, and they too had their reservations changed and hadn't been checking all along before their trip. They missed a flight yesterday because of it.

Please keep checking your plane reservations, seats, change of plane equipment that can affect seats, on any airline once you make the res. and before and while you travel.

Get answers to your questions about Kihei
Recent Conversations