We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to hawaii

Which Kihei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Shelby Township...
8 posts
Save Topic
First time to hawaii

We are going to Oahu for 3 nights and Maui 7 nights. I am looking for recomendations on activites and good reasonable restaurants. I am also looking for the best luau. Need a recommendation for deep sea fishing charter

Thanks

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,534 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to hawaii

Are you also posting in the Oahu forum for help with that part of your vacation? When are you coming and who is coming with?

Luau on Maui - Old Lahaina Luau or Feast of Lele - book early.

What is reasonable to you for meals? That would be helpful.

What other activities are of interest to you? Hiking, driving, snorkeling?? Thanks! :)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
740 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to hawaii

Just out of curiosity, why Oahu 3 nights and Maui 7? My first time too, but not sure where to go, Maui came highly recommended but really looking for help. First I guess I need to brush up on Hawaii geography. Are the two places you are going in driving distance?

Thanks

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,534 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to hawaii

They are both different islands - no driving. Many people split up their trip and see a few islands, but a good rule of thumb is one week per island, and more for the Big Island. :)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,217 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to hawaii

Are you staying in Kihei?

Shelby Township...
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to hawaii

we re going to be in Hawaii from feb 15-25. We arer goingwit my 2 children woare 13 and 16. I know we would like to do whale watching and the road to hana, and also combine the sunrise on the mountain and then biking down. In Oahu we are planning to go to Pearl harbor. As for meals I was thinking about possibly $150 for dinner for 4 but I am not sure if that is unrealistic. Any adivce would be appreciated.

Thanks

Shelby Township...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to hawaii

Kanaapai at the Maui Sheraton

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
740 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to hawaii

I'm not sure where Kihei is? Is that in Maui? I'm just starting this adventure for April 2013, my 50th birthday gift to myself, a must on my bucket list of things, but I have no clue. I thought I was going to Maui, but now I guess I have to decide where in Maui? How does one figure this out?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,534 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to hawaii

bestsis - you will find the most help on your post about Hawaiian geography - you need to study a bit more or our responses really won't make any sense to you. Yes, Kihei is in Maui. Alot of where you end up in Maui depends on your original budget - Maui is one of the more expensive islands to stay on. :)

Oliviaviktor . . . not sure how much the kids will enjoy the road to Hana . .. long, twisty scenic drive - most teens would be bored, but you know your kids best. You will need to up your budget for most meals - dinners for 2 are usually over $100 - you might consider a condo to stretch out your budget, especially when bringing teens. :)

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,592 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to hawaii

bestsis ... please refer to the thread that you started on "Geography Lesson" ... there's lots of helpful advice there on doing research on line and with the help of guide books. e.g. to find out where Kihei is, you can look for it on google maps http://goo.gl/maps/LJMcU

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
740 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to hawaii

Thanks Susan and everyone else.

VRBO is a first step for me. a condo with a Costco close is a must.

A book for dummies is a must.

So when talking to lets say ? a 100 people who have been to and loved hawaii, it seems like maui for a first time visitor was the place to start in Hawaii?

We, me and my husband and out 14 year old son, and I'm hoping lots more since its my 50th? but just worrying about us 3 right now. I love the beach, the boys love snorkeling and fishing and learning, we are all 3 up for new adventures. We are looking for a mid priced adventure. I was thinking of about ? $150 or so a night for a condo, not sure if this is ? too cheap for that area?

Thanks again,

Get answers to your questions about Kihei
Recent Conversations