We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo company asked if we could move...

Which Kihei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Condo company asked if we could move...

Anyone who rents from condo management companies ever run across this?

We booked one year in advance, (leaving for Maui in two weeks) and the management company called asking if we would like an upgrade to a different resort. We have replied back that we want to stay in our original booked condo (we like location better -South Kihei, than what was offered - North Kihei)

II am wondering if the owner of condo is wanting it now.

Hoping this is just a minor hiccup...

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,896 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo company asked if we could move...

It happened to us on a ski trip once ... for the reason that you mention. Except we were mid-way through out stay. The management company did compensate us generously for moving (within the same building) and helped with the move ... but it wasn't what I had hoped to do on my vacation.

Did you ask what the reason was? Obviously you don't feel that it's an upgrade, so if you have to move (hopefully you have the choice) I would push for a better deal than an upgrade to a resort that doesn't really appeal to you.

Good luck with this!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,269 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo company asked if we could move...

You might want to find out more...like, is the condo up for sale? Being foreclosed on? It is a tough real estate world.

Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo company asked if we could move...

When we called back to decline, they didn't give an answer as to why the different resort was offered. They only suggested it could be due to overbooking or maintenance issues. Seems if it was maintenance, two weeks gives enough time for it to be addressed.

Last year (same condo), the owner called us and asked what time we would be leaving because they had family who would be using it the day we checked out and they wanted to bring stuff over early. Hence the reason I think owner is wanting it.

Haven't heard anything again since we declined their offer, but mentally trying to prepare.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,011 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo company asked if we could move...

We were asked to move earlier this year to a different unit in the same building. It was some weak reason that didn't make sense. I think the management company had a chance to rent the unit for longer than the 1 week we had booked.

I did go along with it, but wished I had raised a fuss instead. My sister and I had spent a long time picking out a "perfect" unit, months in advance. The move request came a week before our trip and the pickings were very slim.

I had used this agency a few times previously and was disappointed with their treatment. I know the contract fine print says that they have the right to change units, so I figured the "request" was not really an option that we could say "no" to. We were not offered any compensation for the move even though we went from oceanfront to oceanview.

(I am mad all over again as I type this...should have been more vocal at the time!)

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo company asked if we could move...

This happened to us once. And we didn't like it.

We booked two upgraded units with AC at the Koa Lagoon, when we arrived, they moved one of our units to another complex due to over booking (they didn't even tell us until we arrived). It was a dated unit at Menehune shores without AC. They only gave us a little bit of money back.

We prefer the condos at South Kihei. I think they considered an "upgrade" because probably the condo at North Kihei is ocean front.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
408 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Condo company asked if we could move...

I would think if it were a maintenance issue they wouldn't give you the option of switching, they'd merely inform you of a switch. But I could be wrong. All the best!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Condo company asked if we could move...

This happened to us while staying at a condo on the Big Island. We got all settled in and stocked the fridge with things from Costco because we were staying for a whole month. After shopping and being there two days management asked if we could move. The owners were coming to stay at their condo. What a pain moving all the food etc., but we went ahead and did it.

8. Re: Condo company asked if we could move...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 09:16