We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

costco or grocery stores

LEWIS
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
costco or grocery stores

Will arrive late Saturday (8:00 pm) and wondering about getting groceries at that time or waiting till Sunday. Will be staying in Kihei and wondering what is available late Sat. or early Sunday. When is costco open? Thanks for the help.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,132 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: costco or grocery stores

Here's the link to Costco Maui - store hours are in the upper left: http://tinyurl.com/cdpzpgm

Safeway in Kihei is open 24/7 - http://local.safeway.com/hi/kihei-1500.html

Be sure to get a club card for the savings ( if you don't already have one.) You can see their weekly specials in their on-line flyer.

Enjoy your trip!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,950 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: costco or grocery stores

Who is "we" and how long will you be staying? Do you need Costco-size quantities or would Safeway do the trick? Consider what you might waste. Consider what may already be available at the condo - that you will not know about until you eye-ball the place.

I would check the Safeway and Costco websites for hours. Also, don't forget to bring your Safeway card (or you can sign up for one when you are there).

Where are you flying in from? Where are you from? I am wondering what your body clock will be telling you the first night - and how late you might want to sleep in in the morning. I'd have some place in Kihei in mind for breakfast or brunch - then go grocery shopping.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
56,702 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: costco or grocery stores

I'd stop at Safeway to pick up stuff for the next morning and then head to Costco for the things you want from there (beer, water, poke, fish or beef to grill, Hawaiian foods, maybe a Costco chicken, etc) and then go Safeway for the things you need in smaller quantities.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
253 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: costco or grocery stores

I think I would go to Safeway. Easy to find on the way to downtown. Last trip, we just got breakfast essentials after landing, and a beer to relax at the condo. Did a big shop for most of the 2 week stay the following day, hitting Time, Safeway, Foodland and Long's. Saved a few bucks buying specials. I was up at 5 a.m. every morning, stuck on B.C. time, which was good for coffee on the beach bench. Also worked great for phoning our 16 year old daughter to get up for the school bus. Can't wait to get back to S. Kihei!

sj7
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
141 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: costco or grocery stores

We arrived late also, hit McDonalds for a quick bite as it was 11:00 pm, we found the best deals at Foodland and Longs and Costco for the big stuff. We found Walmart but not so great. Foodland is open 24 hours and it is right on S Kihei, depending on where you are staying you pass it on your way in.

vancouver bc
Level Contributor
98 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: costco or grocery stores

We arrived really late and were stuck in traffic due to an accident. Stopped at Safeway for breakfast stuff and coffee. Then the next morning joined the long line of carts heading into Costco for the big items. We have used Safeway and other markets for the day to day stuff. Tomorrow we head back to Costco to get more meat etc as our group is expanding from 6 to 11 people. Our fresh turkey tonight was from Costco and was delicious as were the already made mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes. Liquor is cheap at Costco. I didn't buy mayo, ketchup, mustard or toothpaste at Costco as I don't need mega jars or packages of those things. Enjoy your trip.

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: costco or grocery stores

You arrive too late for Costco that night. If you are staying in Kehei, the trip back to Costco the next day will probably not be worth it, since the cost of gas should be considered, as well as your precious vacation time.

If you have a large group, then the cost/savings of supplies might make it worth the trip back to Costco (which is very close to the airport), but if it's just for two people for a week, I would say skip it and just go to Safeway. As others have said, get the club card if you don't have one already.

Plantation Florida
Level Contributor
485 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: costco or grocery stores

Whole Foods is also across the street from the Safeway downtown. We ended up going there first. I went over to Safeway and bought a cooler, ice, and a few items, while the wife continue to shop at Whole Foods. Never went to Costco. Didn't drink much either, only at the Laua and the Four WInds tour to Molokini.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
49,775 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: costco or grocery stores

People use the term "downtown" here but really, there is no "downtown" area of Maui. Whole Foods is in Kahului, pretty close to the airport as is Costco. If you are feeding a large group, shop Costco the next day, it's less than a 20 minute drive from Kihei. If a regular grocery store is all you need, there are plenty in Kihei. There is also a local grocery, Hawaii Moons that is "all natural" in Kihei.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
Sask
Level Contributor
700 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: costco or grocery stores

We've gone in the morning and in the afternoon, and they ran out of some produce items by the PM, so if it's important to you, go early.

Get answers to your questions about Kihei
Recent Conversations