We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kihei in March Flight at midnight departure.

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Kihei in March Flight at midnight departure.

Hi, I need some help. We are going to be vacationing early March in Kihei w/ our 2 kids (ages 3 and 8) and staying at the Maui Banyan. Trying to plan our trip now but what I'm most concerned about is trying to plan our last day there. Our flight on departure day isn't until almost midnight, and since we have to check out at 11 am, I'm trying to figure out what to do that day that won't make us really want to shower before we get on the plane or that would be way to much driving for the day. I was thinking of watching the sunset Haleakala or somewhat easier hikes somewhere, but not too hard on the kids ... would that even be possible? Or does anyone have any other ideas. The idea is to wear the kids out but not too much since we have such a late flight and want them to wait to sleep after we deaprt.. Any help would be really appreciated :) This is our first trip to Maui and my husband's very first Hawaiin experience! Thank you:)

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,562 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kihei in March Flight at midnight departure.

Aloha,

The best thing is to book your lodgings for the extra night.

If you can't do that, seriously consider taking a room at either the Maui Seaside or the Maui Beach hotel, they are both in Kahului--or maybe the Days Inn in Kihei. That way you could all enjoy the last day, have showers before flying out, etc.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kihei in March Flight at midnight departure.

Stacey.....my best advice to you is to pay for an extra night wherever you are staying or book one night at Days Inn and enjoy every minute if your last day. That us what we do every vacation because most of our flights have us going home on a red-eye. And we do not have young kids anymore! Days Inn is on a beautiful beach and the luxury of spending every minute on Maui having fun..... Not wandering the island homeless with tired kids.....is worth every single penny! Have the best vacation ever. Deb

P.S. We are going home a day early next trip just to avoid your exact problem. Rather 11 hours early.....yeah I think like sw and she knows her stuff!

Edited: 08 January 2013, 20:57
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kihei in March Flight at midnight departure.

Thank you for the quick reply! :) I never even thought about that.. I'll look into doing that. Thank you! :)

Spokane, Washington
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Kihei in March Flight at midnight departure.

We were just homeless ourselves, checking out at 11 am and not flying until 11:55pm and it was a pain to not have a home base that day. We drove around to parts of the island we hadn't explored but didn't venture away from our car too much because we didn't want to leave our luggage. The weather was windy and rainy. We ended up taking our car back early and checking in for our flights 4 hours early and just hung out at the airport. Pretty lame.

As it turned out, the airline lost one piece of our luggage. The duffel bag full of flip flops and sandles apparently did not want to go back with us. They are now currently in transit with Federal Express. :-)

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kihei in March Flight at midnight departure.

Exactly....it is a total drag to end the trip early at the airport. We know from experience too Karma! The first time I booked an extra night was at the Aqua Palms on Oahu because they wouldn't guarantee me a late check out at the beginning of the trip. I cracked, paid for the extra night and we spent our last day on our favorite beach! We felt like big spenders and slept on the plane home. Best $130 I spent the whole trip....Hope your trip was awesome otherwise! Deb

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kihei in March Flight at midnight departure.

Are you flying into PDX? I have night flight home later this month on Alaska Airlines. Booked the condo for the extra day for all of the reasons already expressed. Hope it works out for you to do the same.

7. Re: Kihei in March Flight at midnight departure.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2014, 06:17