We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time trip to Maui--is the Kihei area a good choice?

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
299 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
First time trip to Maui--is the Kihei area a good choice?

Hubby & I are going to Maui in April. We're staying at a B&B in the Kihei area....we've never been to Maui before.

Is the Kihei a good location? We want to go to the different beach to relax...we don't swim or snorkel at all.

We really want to see the scenery and beauty of Maui. We both love photograhy?

We plan on doing day trips from our B&B home base.

Any suggestions will grealty be appreciated,

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time trip to Maui--is the Kihei area a good choice?

Kihei is a very nice area located in South Maui. It's much different than Kaanapali, which is West Maui. In Kaanapali, you will see the high rise hotels lined up on the beach, better layout as far as shopping in one area. In Kihei, it is more of a beach town and I don't think it was planned out the best (shops and restaurants are kind of scattered along the main road). That's not a good or bad thing, just what it is. Whether you like Kihei or not depends on what types of things that you enjoy. There are several beaches there that you can sit at and relax. There are numerous good restaurants there as well. As for photography, I'm sure no matter where you would stay, you'll get many great pictures. Kihei isn't the most scenic part of Maui, but once you go out and explore, you'll be snapping pictures left and right (and that doesn't mean that you won't get any award winning shots in Kihei). Keep in mind that some people love Kihei and some only like it. I personally love it, but I love all of Maui! :)

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
299 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time trip to Maui--is the Kihei area a good choice?

Thank you so much for the information. That makes me feel better about staying there.

We really dont' plan on being at the B&B or Kihei for a major amount of time....just our home base for our day trips.

Thanks again!

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time trip to Maui--is the Kihei area a good choice?

travelfever...

if you haven't, i'd read the reviews or ask here about the specific b&b where you plan on staying. if all looks good....you're in good shape. the island is easy to navigate from most anywhere.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
299 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time trip to Maui--is the Kihei area a good choice?

The reviews for our b&b on trip advisor are awesome...it says it's the #1 B&B in Kihei.

In regards to the Kihei location, I done map quest as we are wanting to do the drive to Hana.....it says it's 63 miles, but time wish it's right at 3 hours...is that correct???

Are we staying too far out for doing day trips ?

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time trip to Maui--is the Kihei area a good choice?

ignore mapquest. you aren't staying too far for any trip. the island isn't all that large and is easy to navigate.

Spokane
Level Contributor
365 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First time trip to Maui--is the Kihei area a good choice?

Kihei is good...most all of Maui is good...Kihei will give you a good location for your day trips.

Not sure how many days your visit will be or what type of photography you prefer....but you may wear out your shutter finger.

Couple of suggestions:

Check out the online photos of one of Maui's photographers;

http://randyjaybraun.com/galleries.shtml

May give you some ideas of areas for your day trips.

This company offers a very nice free map of Maui, you can call them or email & they will promptly mail to you.

http://www.airmaui.com/

Then you can see how various spots that interest you are located vs. your B&B.

Iao Valley, road to Hana, *upcountry*, and La Perouse are some areas that come to mind for snappin' away.

Do a little research & ask more about areas that interest you.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
299 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time trip to Maui--is the Kihei area a good choice?

Thanks again! We guys are making me feel good about our choice. We're staying for 9 nights on Maui...then, we're flying to Honolulu for 4 nights.

We fly out of Honolulu going home...Tennessee,

We are by no means professionals when it comes to taking pictures...we just enjoy the hobby....we compete against each other for good shots...pure fun though and awesome memories it makes.

Thank all of you VERY MUCH!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,984 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time trip to Maui--is the Kihei area a good choice?

I like using google maps ... here's the route -

A is the B&B,

C is Hana,

D is Oheo Gulch.

http://goo.gl/maps/9K1C5

You'll be in a convenient location for day trips. The longest day trip is the Road to Hana, and although some people stay over in Hana, it seems that most do it as a day trip.

Edited: 30 January 2013, 21:27
Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,029 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time trip to Maui--is the Kihei area a good choice?

Our first trip we found a budget condo in Kihei and loved it so much, we've been back twice since!

As PensFan pointed out, Kihei as a pretty typical, unplanned beach town not unlike many you will find on the mainland. I like that about it. In fact, I LOVE that about it! There is no pretensiousness about the town whatsoever. If you crave that, then a 5 minute drive to Wailea can fullfil that need!

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
299 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time trip to Maui--is the Kihei area a good choice?

Woo hooo!!!!!!!!

Thanks again!