We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which grocery has the best deals?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
640 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which grocery has the best deals?

Which one has the best prices....Safeway, times or FoodLand?

Ontario
Level Contributor
837 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which grocery has the best deals?

Well, the thing to do is to shop the ads. They are all available online. Make sure you sign up for their loyalty programs: it makes a huge difference.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
446 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which grocery has the best deals?

lol, my husband shops the ads to the point that I don't grocery shop anymore. yes, sign up for at least one of the loyalty programs. If you have a mainland Safeway card, it works here also.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which grocery has the best deals?

Longs Drugs for the basics. The specials are all lined up down the middle isle.

Cash and Carry for fresh veggies.

Safeway for frozen food. I have had a lot of milk and meat go rotten before the expiration date.

I like the butcher section at Foodland Farms. Foodland seems to have a better meat department.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,645 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which grocery has the best deals?

We like Times and Foodland for the items we use while there.

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which grocery has the best deals?

Costco

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,824 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which grocery has the best deals?

Between Foodland, Times and Safeway, they all come within a few pennies of each other in prices, using loyalty cards.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which grocery has the best deals?

We are spending the winter (October thru March) in Waikiki and find that shopping is best as follows: CHINATOWN for fresh produce, WAL MART & SAM'S CLUB (same building, near Ala Moana Center) for household basics and the other stores (TIMES, FOODLAND, DON QUIOTE, SAFEWAY) for ad specials. We do not rent a car, so "The Bus" is our mode of travel. We get a $30.00/annual Senior Bus Pass.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
640 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Which grocery has the best deals?

Thanks but we will be in kihei Maui

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
253 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which grocery has the best deals?

When we were last in Kihei, grocery prices floored us. We quickly figured out to "cherry pick" all the store's specials, which seems to be the thing to do, in reading the forum. We enjoyed our meals in the condo, BBQ'ing most nights. In 2 weeks, we may have had 4 meals in restaurants. Saving a few bucks allowed us to do more while on the island.

Sask
Level Contributor
700 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which grocery has the best deals?

Times probably had the best consistent prices. I would definitely shop the specials at all three places, along with Long's Drugs near the Safeway. Costco is good for produce if you need a lot but might be wasteful if you can't use it up. There is a farmers's market on S Kihei Road, by the local library.