We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kihei surfside in August

Which Kihei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
142 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
kihei surfside in August

just wondering how hot it can get in the higher units with out A/C? will there be enough breeze in the one bedroom units to cool place down or will/might it be uncomfortable to sleep at night?

units such as 506/507502/402.

if no A/C might be an issue can u suggest any buildings in area that might be similar

thanks

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,956 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kihei surfside in August

We have never stayed at the Surfside in August. We were there in October one year, and then May the following year. MOST of the units will have a ceiling fan in the living room and the bedroom. I say most, as the first time we stayed there, the unit didn't have one in the living room. That was okay, as we didn't really need it. There was a fan, the stand on the floor type, but we never used that either. Mostly because it was so filthy, I was scared to turn it on and have dirt and crud flying everywhere!

But the way the units are set up, if you have the sliding door open to the lanai, and the front door open, you will have an amazing breeze. We actually had to remember to SHUT the sliding door every time before we left (even on the sixth floor), because if we didn't, it was extremely difficult to open the front door when we returned. There were a couple of times when I was not strong enough to push it open because of the breeze coming in through the screen on the lanai. We had to close the lanai door constantly. Also, the windows around the dining area all open and they allow more breeze as well.

You are aware that units 506 and 507 are by the elevators, right?? And only the one bathroom too. The other two units are VERY close to the ocean.

There are others that won't stay anywhere without AC. And maybe August is hot enough that you would want it, but I don't think the humidity could be as bad as Toronto in the summer. Do you have AC at home???

toronto
Level Contributor
142 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kihei surfside in August

thanks for your reply.

1. didnt know xx6 and xx7 were near elevator (does it get noisy?)

2. one bathroom fine (we r just two adults and one eight year old

3. we do have A/C in toronto and use it, so that makes me wonder if I should look elsewhere

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
522 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: kihei surfside in August

We stayed in 507 in February last year. It was warm for us, but we were coming from -40C!!! I brought along earplugs as I was expecting it to be noisy, not only from the elevator, but from the parking lot that is shared with Mana Kai(?). Surprisingly, even my husband had trouble sleeping from the noise, as he usually sleeps through anything. Saying that, I would love to stay there again, but in a unit closer to the ocean. The location is wonderful. Btw, our son had no problem sleeping in the sleeper sofa in the living room area. As Joan said, it gets very windy and if you leave the doors open the contents of your unit will blow around. Don't leave things hanging on the lanai chairs while you're out either :)

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,956 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kihei surfside in August

Being by the elevator isn't necessarily noisy, but the bedroom windows are RIGHT THERE!!! So even if someone is talking just normally, it can seem loud, especially when people are arriving from Vancouver at ten thirty at night! And having to pack all their stuff up to the condo, making more than one trip sometimes.

That was us the first trip there. The wheels on the suitcase are very noisy in the dead of night.

I hope someone else who has been there in August will chime in. I love the location there, and Keawakapu Beach is so nice, as is the huge green space beside Surfside. Your eight year old would have a great time there with the shuffleboard and putting around with a golf ball.

If you can afford the xx2 unit, I'd be taking that one before the xx6 and xx7.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
786 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kihei surfside in August

Hi there, we were there in August for 3 weeks a number if years ago... No AC needed, but I am always "cold" , never needed AC there, and I've been there almost every month, like Joan says, the breeze you get is lots for most, some will disagree... We're all different I suppose!

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,008 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kihei surfside in August

I have stayed several times at Hale Hui Kai, just down the beach from Surfide. No A/C. It was bearable when the tradewinds were blowing. One July there was very little wind and humidity was high. Ceitling fans and open doors/windows were little help in providing comfort. Personally, I would not risk it in late summer or fall when Kona weather is most likely to occur for prolonged periods.

toronto
Level Contributor
142 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: kihei surfside in August

thanks all,

can someone suggest a place similar to kihei surfside that has A/C? I dont know, like sugar beach perhaps

Socal
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: kihei surfside in August

I've stayed at Sugar Beach. All units I rented had AC. My trips lasted up to 3 weeks at a time in late July-early August and some days we definately needed the cool air. The property itself was good and the pool and grounds well kept.

But you will have some tradeoffs. It's fairly windy up there in the afternoons and the beach not nearly as nice for swimming/snorkling. Bit more of a drive to the market. But more central if you want to head to the Westside.

Edited: 22 April 2013, 20:40
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: kihei surfside in August

I would not trade the surfside for sugar beach. Sugar beach is isolated IMO and not nearly as nice as keawakapu beach which is next to the surfside. If you are in unit 402 at the surfside there will be no noise from anything except the loud crashing waves from the ocean. I have been in unit 402 and it is AMAZING. The breeze is wonderful, do you plan on being in your condo late afternoons? That is when it gets most warm, other times it is very comfortable.

If the no AC is a deal breaker it will be hard to find something in Kihei on the beach and not right on Kihei rd.. The surfside and Mana Kai are both set away from the road, all others are right on it with only a parking lot in between. The issue with Mana Kai is not all units are ocean front, some face the parking lot. Not sure about AC there.

Edited: 22 April 2013, 23:38
Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,008 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: kihei surfside in August

Hale Pau Hana units have A/C in the bedrooms. Some units at Royal Mauian and Hale Hui Kai have added A/C, also. I've stayed at all 3 properties. Ocean front, steps to great beach.

Probably more expensive than Surfside, however.