We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cost of buying groceries/booze, taking cabs and eating out?

Edmonton, Canada
7 posts
Save Topic
cost of buying groceries/booze, taking cabs and eating out?

Hey,

I'm from Canada and was just wondering how much is the average cost of buying groceries/booze, taking cabs and eating out? in Maui? I'm thinking it is the same price as here, I know compared to other places in the US it is expensive but we don't have super cheap stuff in Canada so I just wanted to get peoples opinion?

thanks

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,110 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cost of buying groceries/booze, taking cabs and eating out?

If you rent a car, you will save and you will want one on Maui. No cabs. Depends on what groceries and booze you buy and what kind of eating out you do. You can spend $100 per person for dinner or get a much cheaper fish taco. Need more info, please.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cost of buying groceries/booze, taking cabs and eating out?

we typically spend average about $150/day for 2 people for eating out when we visit any of the islands. $20 bkfast, $30 lunch, $100 dinner. I don't drink so there's only 1-2 drinks at most during dinner for my husband. But if we have the hotel buffet bkfast, that can be $25-40pp depending on the hotel. Then we are pretty stuffed and only have a snack for lunch.

Some dinners will be considerably more expensive if we go to a "nice" restaurant (up to $100pp) but we don't eat fancy meals every night. We also pack picnic lunches when we go for all day hikes. So our lunch bill could be as low as $10 for that day depending on what we buy at the grocery store.

If you are the type to eat a pastry and coffee for bkfast, Subway for lunch and McDonald's for dinner, you could probably get away w/ $20/day per person. I don't eat fast-food so don't know how much McD's is in Hawaii.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cost of buying groceries/booze, taking cabs and eating out?

oh yeah, and you will definitely need a car rental in Maui. Don't even consider trying to just use cabs

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,004 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cost of buying groceries/booze, taking cabs and eating out?

Booze is cheaper.

Food costs more.

Rent a car.

Bring your Safeway card.

Calgary
Level Contributor
495 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cost of buying groceries/booze, taking cabs and eating out?

Agree with getting a rental.You'll need it.

Are you in a condo and planning on making a few meals? Or will you be eatting out every meal?

We are from Calgary and grocery prices are very comparable, booze is cheaper.

We stayed in 2 different condos over 2 weeks and we cooked both weeks.

We bought breakfast foods, eggs, sausage, bread, fruit, juice. Snacks,cooked shrimp, chips, cheese, meats and crackers. Lunch stuff, more bread, meat, cheese, mayo/mustard, more fruit. Beer, wine, gin and gatorade.We spent about $200 for 2 people for a week.

The second week there were 4 adults and we cooked a few dinners on the BBQ, the bill was about a $100 - $150 more, but our friends don't drink.

If your plan is to cook, bring some spices from home. I brought garlic, steak spice, salt/pepper, ketchup (little pkgs collected from fast food places), sugar, hot sauce, tea & some small jars of jam. I packed it all up in a little rubbermaid container that I left at the condo when we came home.

We made breakfast every morning and then usually had a late lunch when we were out touring around. Most nights we weren't really hungry and just had cheese, meat and crackers while watching the sun set. I did pack lunchs for the days we went to the beach and after swimming we were ready to eat again. So we'd do dinner out.

It is about the same as it is here, you can have a pizza and beer for $50 or fine dinning for $200.

Check out Maui reveled to see what different restaurants are near you and their prices.

Sorry it's long but I hope it helps.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,898 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cost of buying groceries/booze, taking cabs and eating out?

The gas is cheaper on Maui than in Nanaimo (Vancouver Island), where it isnow 139.9 a litre. The milk is cheaper, the cheese is WAAAY cheaper. The liquor prices.... oh my gosh... WHY won't our government let us bring back more???? The books are cheaper, a lot of things are cheaper!

Do you have a Costco membership? If you do, check out the rental car there, or use discounthawaiicarrental.

Lots of cheap eats on Maui, and other nicer places too. Use the FAQ on the main Maui page and you will see links for "cheap eats" and other nice restaurants as well.

If you don't have a Safeway card, you can get one easily and quickly at any Safeway on Maui. And they are open 24 hours. Foodland has a discount card as well, again, easy to fill out the form and get one for more savings. You can also google the Safeway flyer and then you can see for yourself what is on sale. You can also shop the farmers' markets for fresh veggies.

There is something on Maui for every budget!

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: cost of buying groceries/booze, taking cabs and eating out?

Cost of gas has to be cheaper on Maui....it's 147.9 a liter in Kelowna....booze is super cheaper...groceries about the same if you get a safeway card and shop at costco.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
242 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cost of buying groceries/booze, taking cabs and eating out?

We learnt the ropes pretty quick on groceries and booze. We are very frugal travellers, so just love a good deal. Being frugal, allows us to travel more, and more often. Initially, getting into OGG at 9:30 p.m., we didn't have a clue where we going, so brought our GPS from home. Then stopped at Safeway to buy breakfast grub for the morning, and beer! Next morning, found all the food retailers, and cherry picked, buying items on special. Doing this, we found the prices much like home, which is the West Coast of Canada. Don't worry about deals on booze. We were buying 25$ wine at home for 7$ at Safeway. Produce is very expensive, I found. We BBQ'ed just about every night, with a Caesar salad out of the 808 deli. Cheaper than buying the lettuce. If I could, I'd live in Kihei, but being Canadian poses problems, so for now we just visit. PM me and I can send you for the deal of a century on a car rental, avoiding all the large chains that really know how to charge. Book a car early, as at times, there are no rentals left.

BC
Level Contributor
162 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cost of buying groceries/booze, taking cabs and eating out?

You will love the cheap liquor. We can't believe how cheap Costco liquor is. drinks at the restaurant are the same as Canada.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cost of buying groceries/booze, taking cabs and eating out?

Love how all the Canucks come out to state how cheap the booze is and how the price of food is pretty comparable to what it is here. I'm always amazed at the folk south of us complain how expensive it is in Maui, I honestly think, compared to our costs here its not. If you are staying in a condo and plan to cook most meals budget as you would in Canada.

Oh have fun with the different selection in the grocery store as well!